Senior Policy Manager
Senior Policy Manager
London or Edinburgh
£45,000 - £65,000
About the Job
We are seeking experienced senior policy managers to drive the delivery of Ofcom’s consumer policy programme and improve consumer outcomes in communications markets.
The role of the Consumer Policy team, which is part of Ofcom’s Consumer Group, is to identify and respond to consumer problems by developing policy to empower and protect consumers so that:
- there is widespread availability of key services;
- consumers have clear and accessible information to make informed choices about the services they buy;
- there is easy switching between providers so consumers can act on their choice;
- there is additional, targeted support for consumers who struggle to engage, especially those who are vulnerable; and
- consumers are protected when things go wrong, including intervening with regulation where we think this can make a significant difference to consumers.
Policy-making is a vital part of what we do at Ofcom. It involves understanding a problem and designing options and solutions to solve it. We know that great policy-making involves bringing together expertise to get the best result.
What you will be doing
As a senior policy manager in the Consumer Policy team, you will work in multi-disciplinary teams (with colleagues including economists, technical and financial specialists and lawyers), leading policy analysis to deliver improved consumer outcomes and working collaboratively to develop policies that will have a real, long-term impact on consumers. You will be responsible for managing policy projects, including taking them through Ofcom’s governance processes and developing and maintaining effective stakeholder relationships. You will also champion the consumer interest across Ofcom, contributing to policy work and other projects across the organisation.
Ofcom’s corporate values are excellence, collaboration, agility and empowerment. These are reflected in the way we work. We are looking for motivated, organised people who can grasp new ideas quickly to produce outputs to the high standard Ofcom needs to meet. We work together in teams to identify problems and develop solutions. You need to be confident and articulate, and comfortable working in an environment where your team’s solutions will be constructively reviewed.
Essential Skills / Experience
- Appreciation of and desire to promote Ofcom's values of excellence, agility, empowerment and collaboration.
- Experience of policy development: proven track record of policy development within a regulated industry or government.
- Project management expertise: experience of having defined project scope, lead teams, run projects, and delivered to deadlines.
- Analytical skills and experience: experience of applying analysis in policy development either by leading or contributing to data analysis. Experience of working with economic analysis and data would be an advantage, however, our policy colleagues come from a variety of different academic and career backgrounds, and have developed these skills in many different roles and sectors.
- Written communications: you will contribute extensively to drafting of internal and published documents, so strong writing skills are very important.
- Face to face communication: you will need to be confident communicating arguments and to be prepared to listen. An ability to quickly build and nurture effective working relationships both internally and with our external stakeholders is therefore essential.
Desirable Skills / Experience
- Experience/understanding of a regulated sector: your role will be to help Ofcom understand the issues our stakeholders face and how regulatory solutions can address them. You may have experience of a regulated sector from an operational, commercial or regulatory affairs perspective.
- Sound judgement, creativity and depth of thinking: making timely and well-reasoned decisions informed by Ofcom’s strategic priorities.
- Demonstrable understanding of other disciplines: (e.g. legal and economic) sufficient to ask pertinent questions, challenge input, define tasks and influence outcomes.
If you are interested in the role, we invite you to submit a 500-word covering letter explaining why you want to join the Consumer Policy team as a Senior Policy Manager.
Please also ensure you have submitted your CV along with current salary details and any other information you think we should have. We welcome applications from candidates who would like to work part-time or flexibly, so please tell us what your preferred working arrangements are.
Ofcom is an equal opportunities employer. It wishes to reflect the diversity of contemporary UK society and is therefore actively seeking to recruit colleagues from all cultural and ethnic backgrounds as well as those who have a disability.
The closing date for applications is the 8th June 2018.
To apply for the role of Senior Policy Manager, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Senior Policy Manager, Policy Development Manager, Project Manager, Programme Manager, Project Delivery Manager, Communications.