Team Leader - Flat Product Processing
ParkerSteel is the largest steel stockholder & processor in the UK and has been successfully trading in the engineering and steel industry for over 100 years. As a family run business, we are focused on continuous innovation and improvements that are implemented collaboratively with our staff. Our company has rapidly grown due to our investment in technology and our staff. At the heart of our business is ensuring our staff are motivated, engaged and developing. All our staff members undergo continuous training and development programmes to help them gain new skills, recognised certificates and the opportunities to further their career with us. As well as free training and development opportunities, all our staff have access to a great variety of high street and online discounts via our PerkBox staff scheme.
With this in mind we are looking for an energetic and enthusiastic person to join our Flat Product department as Team Leader. You will take on the responsibility of ensuring the safe, efficient and profitable operation of your shift.
This role works as part of a team of four team leaders reporting directly to the Assistant Operations Manager. You will be responsible for two Leading Hands and a team of Operatives and Production Packers and Quality Control Operatives. You will work a pattern of 12 hour shifts on a rolling basis of 4 days on, 4 days off, 4 nights on, 4 nights off.
Outline of responsibilities:
1) Motivate and lead the team by example, ensuring a high standard of efficiency is achieved maximising resource utilisation and effectively eliminating the need for overtime.
2) Ensures all Health & Safety rules and procedures are maintained and applied to the highest standard. Produce safety reports or records as required. Provide Toolbox Talks and explain Safe System of Work (SSW) to their team.
3) Conduct initial investigations and follow procedures for reporting accidents and near misses, informing the Profile Manager immediately of any accidents which require an ambulance in attendance.
4) Communicate with on coming shift leader departmental and production issues during handover.
5) Maintain high standards of personal and workshop training. Ensure that your team Skills Matrix is kept up-to-date and that any training requirements are identified and actioned within a reasonable timescale.
6) Inform the Profile Manager when further action needs to be considered with an employee under their supervision. Conduct a disciplinary hearing under the Profile Manager’s direction up to and including a Stage 2 Warning as per Company Disciplinary Policy and Procedure.
7) Oversee the team, under your control, to ensure a continuous throughput of work is achieved with production targets and delivery dates being achieved.
8) Conduct your teams individuals annual job appraisals to develop and maintain their required high standards of skills. Conduct periodical probationary reviews recording individual successes and concerns.
9) Comply with all company quality and operating procedures, paying particular attention to the quality of goods produced.
10) Effectively control the optimum utilisation of stock/off cut materials.
11) Effectively control individual machine and departmental consumables.
12) Responsible for the security of the Profile workshops and their associated areas during the shift.
13) Maintain strict control on time-keeping and attendance, reporting any absence or lateness to the Profile Manager.
14) Monitor the condition of all machinery, reporting all faults to the Maintenance Department for rectification. Keep detailed logs of all calls, faults and timed responses to outside contacts regarding machine problems and requests for repairs. Record machine downtime in every instance.
15) Complete preventative and routine maintenance on machinery in accordance with manufacturers and departmental check sheets.
16) Plan, allocate and prioritise work to the workstations.
17) Interview and recommend, to the Profile Manager, suitable candidates for available positions.
18) Supervise the departmental control of stock in accordance with company quality and operating procedures.
19) Ensure departmental cycle counts are completed on a daily basis.
20) Carry out any other duties as are reasonably required by the company.
• Experience in a similar supervisory role in a production environment
• Previous Health & Safety experience including investigating workplace accidents/near misses
The successful candidate will:
• Be a highly motivated and results orientated individual with the drive to achieve demanding targets
• Be an effective communicator
• Be proactive and able to use their own initiative.
• Be committed to creating an inspiring work environment and supporting their team to reach its full potential.
Competitive package on offer