Principal Building Control Surveyor (South)
NHBC has a unique opportunity available for a Principal Building Control Surveyor to join the team home based in Southern England. The role is a permanent and full time position offering a salary of GBP43,000 - GBP54,000 per annum.
Our purpose is to work with the house building industry to raise the quality of new homes and provide protection for homeowners. Homes are at the heart of all our lives and our employees are proud to be making a difference to improving the standards of house building in the UK. Being an independent non-profit distributing company with no shareholders enables us to focus on our mission. NHBC is the home warranty provider of choice, we currently insure over 1.6m homes, with a market share of approximately 80%.
The UK continues to see a significant increase in the number of new homes being built - the opportunities here are immense. Join us and we'll offer constant challenge and ample scope to build a career in a refreshingly open, inspiring and friendly environment
Working from home, you can also look forward to real flexibility, plus an excellent work/life balance. You will enjoy a high level of responsibility as well as autonomy but with the full support of a dedicated management network..
What will I be responsible for as a Principal Building Control Surveyor?
- Take responsibility for the assessment of building regulation and warranty applications for larger residential developments and associated non-residential uses typically over 11 metres high.
- Negotiate with developers, builders and their professional advisors, from initial design to completion, to ensure proposals are satisfactory in relation to building control and warranty in accordance with relevant regulations/NHBC Standards.
- Responsibility for the co-ordination of building control inspections, issue of Final Certificates, site and type approvals and resolving problems relating to Initial Notices/Final certification.
- Manage the Building Regulation and warranty risk aspects by supporting inspection and surveying staff with the provision of expert advice, inspection of high risk/complex elements or features of building work, the identification / communication of key inspection stages and review of progress.
- Surveying and assessing buildings and proposals for suitability for Buildmark Conversions cover, including the provision of advice, preparation of reports and offers/refusals of insurance cover.
- Deliver technical presentations to both internal and external customers as required.
- Deputise for and working with the Area Technical Manager as and when required.
- Assist with the preparation of management reports and staff development including training, coaching and mentoring of surveying and senior surveying staff as required.
What do we look for in a Principal Building Control Surveyor?
- Chartered membership of an appropriate professional institution (MRICS, MCABE, MCIOB).
- Extensive experience in the construction industry as Building Control Surveyor / Building Control Officer.
- Experience of plan appraisal of residential developments and associated non-residential uses.
- Understanding of forensic investigations of buildings, defect identification and repair.
- Proven ability to make pragmatic and value decisions on compliance with Building Regulations and NHBC Standards.
- Able to work with the minimum of supervision, in line with established policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of environmental issues and relevant standards/legislation.
- IT literate with the ability to use a range of software programs.
- Good communication skills both verbal and written with appropriate interpersonal and presentational skills.
Benefits of becoming our Principal Building Control Surveyor?
- GBP43,000 - GBP54,000 depending on experience.
- 6% bonus
- Company car
- 26 days pa annual leave with additional days for long service
- Pension scheme accredited to Pension Mark Plus standards (up to 10.5% of salary employer contribution) with life assurance of 4 x salary
- Partially funded private medical insurance
- Tax efficient childcare vouchers and cycle purchase scheme
- High street discounts and preferential gym rates
- Employee assistance programme
Relocation assistance may be available for the right candidate
If you feel you are the right candidate for the role as Principal Building Control Surveyor then please click 'apply' now! We'd love to hear from you!
NHBC is committed to the promotion of equal opportunities. We are a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) and the Women in Finance Charter. We value diversity, understand our inclusive culture helps our business maintain its competitive advantage and aim to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to complement our team.