Software Developer, Commercial
The Guardian is one of the world's biggest liberal news organisations. We are renowned for our groundbreaking independent journalism and our award-winning digital products.
The Commercial Dev team is responsible for creating technical solutions to support key parts of the Guardian's business; digital advertising and branded content. The team ensures that our digital products deliver the revenue we need to support our journalism. Commercial Dev is crucial in balancing business opportunities with the reader experience, keeping the reader experience best-in-class and the commercial tech stack modern and lean.
What you'll be doing
- You'll be coding on the frontend and backend of our web platform in order to make an impact towards your team's objectives. This will involve maintaining and developing the commercial systems on the Guardian's dotcom codebase, ensuring they work for over 10 million users everyday.
- You'll be working in a cross-functional team, which is empowered to rapidly iterate and release new features.
- You won't be coding in isolation - our culture is strongly collaborative, whether pair programming with other developers or working closely with editorial and commercial colleagues.
Much of our code is openly available on GitHub, and some of our projects are widely used throughout the Open Source community. Many of our developers regularly attend and present at conferences. Please visit our Guardian Developers site and the Guardian Developer blog for more information about working in the Digital Development team.
- You're pragmatic. You enjoy being involved in the product decisions that will deliver the team's commercial goals, and thinking carefully about trade-offs.
- You love using data to measure the impact of your own work.
- Your interests go beyond just your team's objectives; you are curious about where the organisation is moving as a whole.
- You have a strong interest in growing your skills.
We believe diversity of people, backgrounds, experience and ideas helps us to build better products and achieve more. We welcome applicants who have taken traditional and non-traditional career paths into software development.
What we offer
- Flexible working
- Generous pension scheme
- Health insurance and dental scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Up to 18 weeks of parental leave at full pay
- Childcare assistance vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Paid volunteering days
- Subsidised gym membership
- Annual season ticket loan
Developer salaries start from GBP48k depending on experience.
You may also be interested in our server-side and full-stack developer roles. If it doesn't sound quite right for you, we have other openings that might be a better fit.
We welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds, different lived experiences and different perspectives. A diverse team means we can better reflect and engage our global audience.
We believe in hiring the best people from the widest pool, and also in including them, fostering a culture where people's voices can be heard and our employees look forward to coming to work.
To apply for this position you must already have the right to work in the UK.
Please upload your CV and covering letter as one document. You should also highlight the extent to which your skills/experience meets the requirements of the role and your motivation behind applying.
Our interview process involves three stages: a phone interview, a pairing test and a face to face interview. We offer a remote pairing test for candidates who would have to travel a long distance to our office in London. If you are successful in the phone interview and remote pairing test you will then need you to arrange to come to our office for a further pairing test and a face to face interview.
Find out more about our hiring process here .
Deadline for receipt of applications is Sunday 8th May 2018, with interviews taking place between now and the 20th May. We aim to provide feedback to all candidates by 21st May.
We value and respect all differences in all people (seen and unseen) at the Guardian. We aspire to inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard and can contribute to our future.