Principal, IT Architect (Cloud)
This is a 3 year FTC with an IT Cloud focus, based in London HQ.
The role is part of the IT Architecture team responsible for enterprise and solution architecture within the IT department. The role provides contribution into defining the overall strategic architecture framework, and understanding, elaborating and describing solutions within it. It works closely with IT management and business stakeholders to promote a consistent approach to and understanding of both project and strategic priorities. The role involves anticipating the kinds of systems and technologies that the Bank will need to deploy in order to meet future business demands.
The Principal, IT Architect is responsible for the definition and promotion of the Enterprise Reference Architecture, which provides a strategic framework to which all business systems initiatives will be aligned. The Principal, IT Architect is further responsible for defining the overall architecture and design of IT solutions, and guiding the system development teams in the elaboration of solutions within the defined architecture. The role interacts with primarily with all IT teams, but also engages with many of the business functions across the Bank.
This role is the subject matter expert for the cloud aspects of application architecture and DevOps for the Bank. It will work with the wider team to refine the cloud strategy and its practical implementation. It provides practical guidance, oversight and hands-on assistance to change projects. Candidates are expected to have demonstrable experience in architecting and deploying hybrid cloud/on premise applications, as well as containerisation and the end-to-end cloud DevOps toolchain.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Contribute to development and maintain the Enterprise Reference Architecture (ERA), to give a clear strategic framework to guide the elaboration of solutions.
- Maintain a roadmap of strategic programmes, in order to realise the ERA in an effective incremental fashion.
- Define and maintain the structure and processes for the Architectural Knowledge Base, to enable a consistent and efficient approach to the retention and re-use of architectural knowledge assets. [note: actually maintaining the knowledge base itself is NOT primarily in this role]
- Explain and promote the ERA within and beyond IT to develop understanding and effective sponsorship of strategic architectural priorities.
- Provide technical guidance and advice to projects from an early stage, ensuring they follow an optimal direction from the outset
- Ensure that solutions are technically sound and will function as expected in production.
- Any operational risks or considerations of the technology solution should be understood and agreed before implementation
- Ensure that solutions are an appropriate balance between short-term delivery needs and medium-term strategic aspirations.
- All deviations from agreed roadmaps should be explicit and agreed through appropriate governance
- Help develop and run an effective process governing technology strategy and project solutions
- Guide and mentor the Architects within the team to promote their skills and their knowledge of the Bank's IT landscape and strategies.
- Research trends in architectural approaches and technologies to provide high quality advice to management on opportunities and architectural implications of new initiatives.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree. Masters preferred or equivalent experience in the area of expertise
- Qualification in Enterprise or Solution Architecture.
- Extensive experience in solution architecture across a range of platforms and business domains
- Wide-ranging experience of IT projects throughout the implementation life cycle
- Experience in object-oriented development and design methodologies
- Experience in integration techniques and technologies
- Ability to develop deep business knowledge and offer advice that spans IT and business domains.
- Working knowledge of a wide range of contemporary IT platforms, techniques and methodologies
- Experience drafting and presenting policy and strategy papers
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong formal and technical modelling skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information to a wide variety of audiences both within and outside of the EBRD.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, in particular service orientation, organisational awareness and people empathy.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to operate sensitively in a multicultural environment.
Diversity is one of the Bank's core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities.