What are we looking for?
Lendlease are looking to recruit an Assistant / Intermediate levelled Design Manager to join our North West Contracting business. The role will be based on a GBP35m Residential Construction Project in central Manchester.
The project is two, eight storey high residential blocks consisting of 191 apartments. The programme is 2 years long. The project consists of demolition to an existing building which has started already and then the build of the project. The blocks are concrete frame with brick facade.
The successful design manager will lead the design of the project from RIBA stage 4 onwards
Job Purpose and Scope:
The role of the Design Manager is to ensure that an effective and productive liaison is established between the external design team, the construction and commercial team whilst interfacing with the client team. The Design Manager directs the external design team ensuring the best design solutions are achieved whilst maintaining the essence of the design concept throughout the project life cycle by resolving buildability, safety, cost, and programme issues through the pre-contract, construction and post contract stages of the design process.
- Ensure all design information is delivered to the project team to meet the project programme and project cost plan.
- Ensure all design information is buildable in a safe manner and is of a quality matching the project design stage,
- Ensure the design information meets the Contractor's Proposals, Employer's Requirements or brief. Identify and schedule any deviations.
- Add value to the project through sensible and practical Value Engineering, seeking alternative options in design whilst maintaining the essence of the design through all stages of the design process.
- Drive the supply chain management of the finished product through leading, motivating and managing the external consultants.
- Define the scope of services of each Design Team consultant through the use of a Design Responsibility Matrix.
Lend Lease Salary and Package:
Up to GBP50k (dependant on experience) + BUPA (family cover) + Pension + Bonus + 25 days holiday (5 day buy and sell scheme) + other Flexible Benefits
Essentials Skills and Experience
- Must have a Construction related degree (BSc or MSc in construction project management Building studies or architecture)
- Able to direct, and where necessary negotiate with, major design practices
- Thorough knowledge of the complete design and construction process
- Thorough knowledge of design and construction technical details
- Experience and detailed knowledge of the RIBA Work Stages
- Experience and detailed knowledge of the Professional Services Agreements
- Experience and detailed knowledge of Designer Scope of Services
- Experience and detailed knowledge of statutory regulations and technical codes of practice
- Experience in the creation and use of project control mechanisms
- Technical knowledge of the client's design requirements
- Experience of the JCT Design and Build, CM and NEC forms of Contract
- Technical knowledge of all statutory legislation relating to the roll-out design
- Excellent language and communication skills relating to technical material
- Previous experience or knowledge of the construction stages on a listed building