Manager - Global Contract Governance & Effectiveness
Do the right thing for our customers, our company and your career.
About Global Supply Management
Global Supply Management (GSM) is responsible for helping AMEX maximize the purchasing power of over $9B of third party spend. We provide strategic consultation to the business and provide an end to end procurement service.
We maximize the purchasing power of the Company to drive the best value from our supplier base which then frees up investment capacity for the Blue Box. GSM together with our business partners manages the supplier strategy for the Company, identifying and on-boarding new suppliers, realizing significant cost saves and revenue generation (e.g. working with GCP/GMS to drive B2B spend and also Stream, a dynamic price discounting product developed by GSM), and ensuring an optimal user experience for AMEX employees and suppliers.
The Candidates primary responsibility will be to support the Contract Strategy & Execution team ("CSE") to deliver maximum value to the business through the contracting and buying process.
- Act as the first point of call to resolve drafting and/ or contract related escalations from Contract Managers
- Assist in the negotiation and drafting of procurement contracts
- Work directly with GCO to provide best in class procurement contract templates
- Implement and manage the updating process to ensure all templates, procedures, Toolkits and related Playbooks remain up to date and in line with legal, regulatory and/ or AXP policy changes
- Manage and take responsibility for ensuring the (1) Global Template Inventory; and (2) CSE Procedures repository remains up to date
- Proactively work to enhance all aspects of the procurement contract templates with the aim of reducing negotiation cycle time and protecting AXP
- Manage and co-ordinate the allocation of work to the SME team that supports the global Information Protection and Contract Requirements Exhibit
- Work directly with GCO and other subject matter experts in the business to provide best in class contract templates
- Metric reporting for the Global Contract Governance & Effectiveness team
- Own and develop relationships with key stakeholders e.g. GCO, Contract Managers and Sourcing & Category Management professionals
- Develop the governance manual for managing and maintaining AXPs global Approved Supplier List (ASL)
- Act as the central point of contact for managing updates to the ASL
- Take responsibility for supporting GSM in various enterprise wide projects that have a legal or contractual aspect e.g. Brexit, GDPR etc.
- Perform appropriate research and analysis to support the goal of continuous contract process improvement
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Educated to degree level with a qualification in Law or a strong business qualification.
- Excellent communication, stakeholder engagement and relationship management skills
- Clear understanding of the negotiation process including trade-offs between strategic and financial drivers and contractual protections.
- Excellent contract drafting skills
- Project management skills, including ability to identify and assess options and make recommendations to move projects forward
- Strong focus on process and compliance.
- Collaboration and influencing skills; ability to understand customer needs and present and sell in new ideas and approaches.
- Analytical skills, including ability to analyze data & distil information and present key messages, implications and recommendations.
- Strong work ethic with an intense will-to-win and ability to work in fluid, fast-paced environment and maintain flexibility to meet changing customer and business needs.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office suite of programmes specifically PowerPoint, Excel and Word.
- Ability to work within a regulated environment incorporating compliance requirements whilst maintaining speed of delivery of initiatives and saves.
- Procurement/Supply Chain experience would be advantageous
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you'll find out what we're really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you'll hear. It's our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World's Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor's 2017 Best Places to Work. If you're ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process - or need any reasonable adjustments to be made - then please contact the Recruitment Team on or (for Russia based candidates ).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time