Senior Project Engineer - Instrumentation and Monitoring
As a Senior Project Engineer at HS2, you will provide specialist technical support and leadership on instrumentation and monitoring related engineering issues to the project delivery teams to ensure effective and efficient delivery of the project to time, budget and quality so that assets installed by the programme are fit for purpose.
About the role:
- Provide support with instrument and monitoring related technical issues associated with project delivery throughout the project lifecycle.
- Provide support to the supply chain in providing instrument and monitoring related project deliverables which meet technical standards and quality requirements and are on time and within budget.
- Undertake processing of selected monitoring data and advising on presentation formats to provide information to project and asset management teams during construction and operational phases.
- Provide support with the establishment of risk based condition monitoring systems and the interpretation of monitoring results.
- Work with stakeholders, contractors and third party asset owners and interface with relevant teams regarding instrument and monitoring related requirements in order to assist in the production of a viable project plan.
- Assist with instrumentation and monitoring related technical assurance and compliance approval processes to ensure the project is delivered safely and within policy and standard requirements.
- Provide and update project documentation including technical standards, specifications, guidance notes, together with establishing and maintaining instrumentation and monitoring records and data sets in line with HS2 policies and standards, to ensure required documentation is provided to support project delivery.
- Liaise with Engineering Delivery Partners (EDP), Professional Services Consultants (PSC's), the Enabling Works Contractors (EWC) and the Main Works Contractors to ensure they provide instrumentation and monitoring related works and services for which they have been appointed.
- Report regularly and communicate progress and potential issues and recommendations to the project team in an effective and appropriate manner and effectively liaise with interfacing project teams to support operations and the successful delivery of the project.
- Ensure that documentation is reviewed and authorised prior to issue.
- Actively promote and embed Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work. Support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
- A degree in civil/mechanical engineering or relevant mathematical subject.
- Professionally qualified with Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status and membership of an appropriate professional institution.
- Knowledge of instrumentation and monitoring equipment, data capture, communication and processing systems, sensor installation and information management.
- Knowledge of computing and IT systems used for the analysis of monitoring data both numerically and graphically.
- Knowledge of health, safety and welfare legislation, risk management, hazards and safe systems of work.
- Knowledge of digital engineering based research and development and its application to the development of smart infrastructure and the use of project 'Digital Twins'
- Ability to manage consultants and design teams.
- Experience in structural engineering (e.g. concrete, steel and composite bridges, buildings, retaining walls and tunnels), including experience of using structural design and assessment codes.
- Experience of using finite element analysis software and the interpretation of analysis results to a high level and sufficient to enable management of such work undertaken by other teams.
- Knowledge of NEC3 contract management.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK's new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain's major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others' health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 'Safe at Heart' programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.