Head of Education - Milton Keynes College
HMP Birmingham's education department have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Head of Education to join their Milton Keynes College Offender Learning team. As Head of Education, you will demonstrate clear, decisive and enterprising leadership in the effective and efficient management of all aspects of the Department's work.
The Head of Education will support growth within the department by leading standards, driving team performance, focusing on relationship management with key stakeholders and setting the direction of the department. Taking forward the work of the Department ensuring its long-term sustainability through the development of new products and services, which meet the needs of students and key stakeholders.
The successful candidate will have management experience and be able to inspire and challenge staff to create a dynamic culture of innovation with outstanding learning, teaching and student success throughout. You will lead the department in raising standards through the rigorous implementation of target setting, continuous performance management and quality improvement.
Location: HMP Birmingham
Hours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: GBP33,235 - GBP38,686 per annum (Dependent on skills & experience)
Closing Date: 26th April 2018
Milton Keynes College: Rewards
• 35 days annual leave, 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
• Amazing discounts with NUS card or Blue Light Card , ranging from Eating Out, Shopping and Fashion, Health and Fitness, Music, Technology, Travel and Entertainment
• Access to an employee wellbeing platform with options to book free activities such as yoga, relaxation, boot camp, personal training and a health and wellbeing news hub
• Access to Teachers Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
• Busy Bee's childcare vouchers can save working parents up to GBP933 per year in a variety of registered childcare, such as Nurseries, Nannies, after school activities, Summer Camps and Breakfast Clubs up the age of 15.
• Access to Continued Professional Development, including professional qualifications and a variety of training courses
• Save up to 32% off all bikes through our Cycle To Work Scheme
• 24 hours per day, 365 days per year Employee Assistant Support Programme
• Plus many more???
As a successful candidate, you will:
• Have a degree or equivalent qualification.
• Hold a recognised qualification in Leadership & Management (or be willing to work towards, by partaking in the College Leadership & Management Apprenticeship Programme)
• Hold a teaching qualification and ideally Assessor/Verifier awards.
• Have proven experience of managing a team within a challenging environment, effectively managing tensions as they arise.
• Have proven teaching and/or relevant commercial experience.
• Have well developed organisational, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Have experience of effectively implementing and managing quality improvement processes.
• Display energy, drive and an entrepreneurial attitude to work.
• Have considerable curriculum development experience and be able to articulate an attractive curriculum vision.
• The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered
About HMP Birmingham???
Milton Keynes College operate on three sites within HMP Birmingham, East Education, West Education, and Vocational Training workshops, offering education to both mainstream and vulnerable prisoners. The education department is made up of a 7-person management team, overseeing four strand areas, Functional Skills, Vocational Training, Personal and Social Development and Outreach. We offer Functional Skills in both Maths and English, ESOL, IT, Business, Hospitality, Barbering, Sports and Fitness, Employability Skills, Kick Start in Business, Art, Hospitality, Mentoring, Interpersonal Skills, Equality and Diversity, Electrical, Bench Joinery, Plastering, Car Valeting, Waste Management and Industrial Cleaning. We offer courses from Pre Entry right through to Level 2.
Education programmes are developed in partnership with the prison to offer a responsive and relevant curriculum, which includes work experience and work opportunities within the Establishment.
Our vision here at HMP Birmingham is to offer outstanding education to enable effective and purposeful resettlement for all learners on release." "Using Time, not Doing Time." We want to make a difference to disadvantaged learners, to show that everyone has the potential to achieve and everyone deserves another chance, and the right support at the right time, can be the difference in breaking the re-offending cycle.
More about the College
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3, - 18-year-old full-time students studying traditional A Levels, vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education. In addition, the College delivers employability and key skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres and is one of the largest providers of Offender Learning in England, working with 27 prisons across the East Midlands, South Central and West Midlands. Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a stringent vetting process to include DBS for all positions.