Full time, Permanent contract
Location - Newport
Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
ABP is the UK's leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK's busiest port and Southampton, the UK's leading export port and number one for cars and cruise. The group's other activities include rail terminal operations (Hams Hall Rail Terminal), ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
In 2015 ABP and its customers handled 92 million tonnes of cargo. Together with our customers, we support 84,000 jobs and contribute GBP5.6 billion to the UK economy every year.
Heavy industry has a major influence on the cargoes handled at the South Wales Ports, but there is also an increasing range of other cargoes, including forest products, recyclables, agribulk products and bulk liquids.
With a substantial land bank to support development of a range of projects, South Wales is involved in a significant number of renewable energy schemes such as the Barry Solar farm & the installation of wind turbines across South Wales Ports. ABP South Wales is home to over 10MW of renewable energy projects.
Reporting to the Engineering Supervisor the Port Operator will be responsible to provide an engineering service to civil maintenance and project activities to ensure the smooth running of the ports.
- To work in a safe and methodical manner to ABP's Safe Systems of Work and take an active part in Risk Assessments.
- To carry out inspection, maintenance and installation work safely in line with all current legislation and ABP's guidelines.
- Understand and work to ABP's Permit to Work system.
- Ensure all work is completed to appropriate standard in a timely manner.
- Maintenance and installation to port buildings including transit sheds and offices.
- Undertake handyman activity's around the port estate.
- Co-operate closely with the other disciplines and contractors.
- Undertake cargo handling operations both ashore and on vessel in a flexible pattern as required (subject to suitable training).
- Any other duties required by the supervisor and Engineering Resources Manager in order to contribute to the general efficiency of the Port.
Skills and Experience
- Apprentice trained Carpenter with experience in a broad range of civil disciplines typically (wood working machinery, brick laying, carpentry, joinery).
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as a team.
- Have a flexible approach to service delivery.
- A desire to help develop the role to best meet the requirements of ABP and customers.
- Full UK driving Licence.
- Working at Height.
- Experience of operating port equipment that would include JCB/FLT would be desirable.
- Working knowledge of engineering/maintenance in a port industry would be desirable.
- Confined space experience would be desirable.
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position also.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.