(Location: Thanckes, Torpoint, Cornwall)
The organisation: The OPA is a Public Corporation formed at the end of 1985 by virtue of the Oil and Pipelines Act 1985. It is sponsored by Secretary of State for Defence, and the MOD Director Commercial is the Departmental Sponsor.
The OPA is the Ministry of Defence's professional expert on bulk fuels storage and transportation by pipelines and its current mission is to provide for the safe, efficient, economic and effective management of 6 Naval Oil Fuel Depots (OFDs) and 2 Petroleum Depots in Cheshire.
We currently have a vacancy for a Depot Operator based at our OFD at Thanckes, Torpoint, Cornwall.
Working as part of a team; this role undertakes the supply and receipt of Bulk Fuels for HM Navy and other OPA customers; always working within Competent Authority standards and regulated under the Control of Major Accident Hazards (2015), there is a strong focus on ensuring no harm to people or the environment.
The responsibilities include:
- Monitor the receipt of product; ensure safe storage and distribution of product from vessels, pipelines, tanks and road tanker loading.
- Operate tank farm and jetty equipment to agreed procedures, company policy and Relevant Good Practice.
- Perform sampling and fuel volume measurement duties in accordance with the OPA Fuel Quality Manual.
- Operate and perform basic maintenance of pumps, valves and other equipment associated with bulk handling of petroleum liquids.
- Operation of Basic Computer Control Systems.
- Understands and reacts accordingly to defined emergency response procedures.
You will be able to show you are a naturally motivated team player, able to be part of a rostered "on-call" team and undertake short notice overtime. You will be able to demonstrate a strong understanding of the foundations health and safety and have good safety conscious record, along with high standards of honesty and confidentiality.
To enable potential career progression in this role, you must be computer literate to above average level. As well as the potential to build on your skills to manage, supervise and operate the OPA Safe System of Work in the future.
The remuneration package:
A basic starting salary range of £18,600 - £21,275 per annum dependent on experience, plus paid overtime and other allowances, 30 days holiday plus bank/public holidays, life assurance and DC pension scheme.