Assurance Quality and Risk Senior Manager
The Financial Services (FS) Assurance practice in the UK has over 1200 professionals delivering external audit and other assurance services to clients within the financial service industry. The practice includes a dynamic and fast growing Financial Accounting and Advisory Services (FAAS) group, as well as the rapidly expanding Extended Assurance (EA) and Fraud Investigation & Dispute Services (FIDS) groups. The UK practice is part of EMEIA FSO which operates in 19 countries and encompasses more than 13,000 staff across all service lines.
The Professional Practice Directorate (PPD) is responsible for leading the maintenance and enhancement of quality in the assurance practice. This is achieved by keeping the firm up to date on assurance and audit matters, both external regulatory issues and internal developments, by developing and communicating relevant guidance and policies and by performing a consultation role to client teams.
This PPD senior manager will play a vital role in supporting the practice in achieving its quality and risk management ambitions, against the backdrop of an ever-changing FS market place and regulatory environment. This is a huge and exciting opportunity to gain exposure across the entire FS practice and to the leadership within the UK firm. You will make a real and tangible difference to the business which will be recognised by the leadership of the practice and lead to your progression through the firm.
We are looking for a proactive and pragmatic individual who can support the practice as well as take the initiative in identifying opportunities for change and drive them into the practice.
Your key responsibilities
- Managing a range of projects such as partner rotation, relationships with specialist teams and audit proposal support
- Oversight of management information including Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and responsive action
- Designing, deploying and delivering assurance technical guidance/training to all levels of staff and partners within UK FS Assurance
- Managing the on-boarding of new audit clients, including engagement letters, EQCRs and rotation matters
- Providing risk management advice and support to our FAAS, EA and FIDS practices
- Delivery of the bi-annual Manager Assessment Centres
- Becoming the subject matter expert in technical and/or regulatory matters
- Exposure to senior leadership of FSO, with regular reporting to the PPD lead partner
- Liaison with EMEIA PPD
- Other audit quality/ risk management projects which may arise on an ad hoc basis
Skills and attributes for success
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, including an ability to articulate effectively to individuals and larger groups
- Experience of delivering assurance engagements, ideally in an FS environment
- The ability to work calmly under pressure and manage competing priorities
- Strong organisational and project management skills
- Effective negotiating and influencing skills, as well as the ability to effectively coach teams
- The ability to encourage and motivate people
- The ability to develop and maintain strong networks
To qualify for the role you must have
- An accounting qualification coupled with membership of ICAEW, ACCA, ICAS or ICAI (or equivalent)
- A good knowledge of IFRS and UK Auditing standards (ISA (UK))
- Experience in a similar role or recent experience of auditing of UK listed companies/other major entities
- Good organisational, project management and time management skills with a strong focus on delivering results including an ability to plan ahead and anticipate problems
- Demonstrable experience at senior manager level
Ideally, you'll also have
- Experience in an FS environment or within a Big 4 professional services firm
What we look for
You will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, plus an ability to build mutually beneficial relationships with internal clients and colleagues from a range of backgrounds and cultures based on knowledge, experience and personal values.
We are looking for a driven, organised, conscientious and analytical individual working with demanding and senior stakeholders within an ever-changing environment.
What working at EY offers:
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you'll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions.
Plus, we offer:
- Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that's right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we're using the finance products, expertise and systems we've developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. And with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we'll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.