Senior Building Surveyor
Use your Building Surveying and Project Management expertise at the National Trust - this two year fixed term role will be based in the Newcastle hub of the North Region but working at Seaton Delaval Hall on their exciting Heritage Lottery funded project.
Do you feel motivated by a role that is varied and diverse? Can you be one of our buildings experts, and deliver outstanding building conservation and investment projects? Do you love the idea of working as part of a top-class team of conservation professionals, on a variety of very special places? If so this role could be for you.
For approximately three days a week the project building surveyor will work with the project manager to deliver the Capital and Infrastructure works at Seaton Delaval Hall. The focus of this post is to provide technical input and expertise to ensure that conservation works are delivered to a high standard. Planned works include a re-roofing project, masonry works, heating upgrade, floor installation and conservation works on significant features such as our amazing spiral staircases. Collaboration with other professionals from across all disciplines (conservation, archaeology and ecology etc) from within our consultancy team and externally (our appointed Design Team), is essential to provide seamless delivery within planned timescales. The budget for this work is in excess of GBP4 million and is part of a larger project which has a significant people and community element.
For the remaining two days a week you will provide support to the property team ensuring that planned cyclical building and compliance works are addressed. You will also manage and advise on any reactive works which are outside the scope of the project.
You'll be working with a diverse range of stakeholders in the Trust and also external agencies, contractors and funders and will ensure that everyone involved is informed, on track, and up to date with each projects progress. This may also include acting as point of contact for the property team and planning authorities, and representing the National Trust in meetings and media to emphasis the benefits of the project within the local area.
Please read the full profile attached.
Who we're looking for
Could you do it? We are looking for not just a passion for building conservation and project management but expertise and experience. We need someone with very strong communication skills who is proactive and a problem solver. You will be a professional Building Surveyor with a relevant professional qualification who demonstrates:
- An understanding of working within a heritage or conservation environment
- Strong leadership and communication skills, including project reporting
- Experience of working in and successfully leading a project team
- The ability to engage well with operational and project teams.
- Attention to detail and an eye for quality
- The ability to work at pace and with energy.
- A creative approach, with the ability to drive improvement and change.
- Experience of working on a multi-site project.
- Experience of a range of consent requirements, especially related to building projects.
- Awareness of the law and industry best practice
- Sound understanding of how projects evolve from broad thinking and scoping to shaping and detailed planning as well as successful project management in a multi-disciplined environment
- A track record in procurement of capital project construction and specialist professional services.
- A clear client focus and the ability to work and effectively manage your time across a multi-site project.
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as GBP2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness