Researcher - Retail Search
We are a leading, London-based executive search firm who specialise in placing C-Level executives into the retail industry. Our placements over the past few years include, but are not limited to, the CEO of the Cooperative Group, a non-executive director of Tesco and an executive of Arcadia Group (Topshop etc.). We pride ourselves on being not just the biggest, but the best at what we do - we do retail, and we only do retail; we are very deliberately not a jack-of-all-trades, but proud of being a master of one.
Being at the forefront of what you do comes with certain responsibilities. We have the industry looking to us for change - we are the market-leaders in what we do and so we set the example. This is why we work on four key values that underpin everything we do:
- Integrity - we are open, honest and fair. We aren't in this to make a quick buck.
- Delivery - we get results, even when it requires us to go the extra mile for them.
- Teamwork - we are greater working together than the sum of our individual abilities. This is reflected in our Employee Equity Scheme (EES) - we have committed to giving 24% of our company away to the people who grow it with us.
- Innovation - we don't follow a set formula with regards to how we work. We are fluid, insightful, tenacious and energetic; and will get the results even when the path towards them is unclear.
So, as you can see, we're doing well. And we're not embarrassed to admit it. Our success has allowed us to grow, and we are continuing to. This is why, in the next month, we are looking to bring on Graduate Researchers into our London office - right in the centre of Soho.
We are searching for Researchers to join our team in our London office. Upon joining, a graduate will be introduced to the world of Search, and Retail, through our training programme. The role of a researcher is a complex, and contradictory one - requiring people with the analytical ability to create research projects and deal with data, but the people skills to build a network at the very top of the research industry. People with the drive to succeed and build a career, but those with the patience required to get there. People with the ability to complete work to an impeccably high standard in a short timeframe, but still take a meticulous approach to everything they do. It's not easy. However, this is a graduate scheme with structured (and award-winning) training - we are not going to throw you in at the deep-end and hope for the best.
Researchers will be working under their consultant (a position into which they will progress once knowledge and a network has been built) on assignments. You will be performing a very important function and so you will be rewarded for that, both with progression and money. We require people with a very unique set of skills:
- Analytical ability - this is a research position and so the ability to analyse and process large amounts of data are essential.
- Social intelligence - a researcher is expected to build a network of contacts that will help them further down their career, so being able to liaise with people of all different levels and, sometimes, get information out of them that you're not entitled to, is essential.
- Ambition and drive - this position transforms into a consultant position (usually within 1-2 years, less than the 3.5 year industry average), so candidates who are willing to put in the work to get there are important.
- Consistent achievement - we generally look at graduates from the top UK universities, with a 2:1 or above in an academic This is not due to snobbery; it is due to the fact that we need people who have evidence of success, not just potential for it.
The proposition we offer to graduates is reflective of the exclusivity and potential that this position holds:
- GBP28,000 basic salary, with bonuses that can often outweigh the basic - our average first year earnings for Researchers are GBP45,000.
- 28 days' holiday per annum.
- Professional, slick working environment - but one with a compelling social scene, too.
- Incredible career development opportunities - this is a unique chance for a top graduate to get into a position where they could be a full Executive Search Consultant within 2 years.