Senior Garment Technologist
Frugi is the UK’s bestselling organic childrenswear brand, proving that ethical and organic clothing can be bright, beautiful and successful! The company was born in 2004 and continues to grow at 40% every year, selling through a rapidly expanding network of over 500 stockists in more than 50 countries worldwide.
We strive to be ethical in everything we do, each year donating 1% of our turnover to our Little Clothes BIG Change charity project which includes a children’s charity, the Cornwall Wildlife Trust and an orphanage in India.
Over the last 12 months we have been earmarked by The Sunday Times Fast Track Ones to Watch list, received GOLD in the Healthy Workplace Awards, expanded to more than 80 permanent team members with even more joining us for our busy seasons, grown our turnover to £8m, donated over £78k to charity, and eaten a lot of pasties (and cake!).
We strive to be the most fun, desirable and trusted clothing brand on the planet, but this is only the start of it…
With a strong background in garment construction you’ll know your stuff when it comes to fabrics and pattern cutting. You’ll be highly experienced in checking garments and providing technical packs for construction. You’ll be a great communicator and will build strong working partnerships with our suppliers and internal teams. You’ll be computer literate and super organised, with excellent time management skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines. You’ll be brimming with ideas to continue to improve our working practices to ensure we always deliver.
Your Role in a Nutshell
You will be responsible for ensuring that Frugi delivers on its promise to have the best quality product, made by an entirely ethical supply chain that fits beautifully and exceeds our customers’ expectations.
Your Key Responsibilities
Product Technical Development
- Prepare and deliver accurate and comprehensive tech packs each season turning design vision into quality product with consistent Frugi fit.
- Work closely with the Product Development team to ensure products are fit for production and factories have all comments and additional information necessary to deliver quality product.
- Ensure appropriate testing is carried out on new products/trims/fabrics so they are fit for the market they are entering.
- Manage label and packaging process to ensure all are compliant with necessary regulations.
- Work to the company critical path to ensure deadlines are met accordingly.
- Ensure that accurate and up to date information is completed on the seasonal progress chart.
- Carry out wearer trials on new product developments to ensure they perform correctly and meet Frugi quality standards.
- Perform full risk assessments of quality and production issues on every product prior to production, to be handed over to Production team.
- Review pre-production samples to ensure they are fit for production. Work closely with Production team on any problem styles which could affect delivery.
- Check bulk fabrics, pre-prod samples and gold seal are to technical specifications and perform to care label requirements
- Assist with the seasonal QC process (both from Frugi and in the factories), working alongside the India Production Team to ensure all products meet Frugi quality and ethical standards.
CSR and Auditing
- Ensure that all safety standards and policies appropriate for organic children’s wear are upheld on every product.
- Ensure full knowledge and adherence to the Global Organic Textile standard (GOTS) occurs both internally and externally.
- Manage in house GOTS accreditation
- Travel to overseas suppliers to perform quality control and shipment inspections and support our “on the ground” quality teams.
- Work with our “on the ground” team in India to review, highlight and train our suppliers in garment construction, in line with our expectations.
- Work closely with Product team to ensure fabric and accessory testing is compliant with all markets that Frugi sells to and investigate, where necessary, new testing for new markets.
- Monitor consumer forums and liaise with customer services to attain good knowledge of returns and technical issues.
- Present month end returns data and corrective action plan
Managing a team
All Frugi line managers are required to ensure that they:
- Provide leadership and direction to the team to meet business and individual objectives.
- Communicate effectively always, to ensure the team are on board.
- Offer mentoring and/or coaching to help develop the skills and expertise of team members.
- Conduct regular 1-2-1 meetings and annual appraisals to monitor and evaluate individual performance, offering constructive feedback and tailored development plans to encourage continuous personal development.
- Provide day to day line management support including holiday approvals, dealing with absences, etc.
- Take and active interest in supporting the health and wellbeing of team members.
- Demonstrate good staff supervision and deal with sometimes difficult or complex situations with the support of the People Specialist.
- Provide feedback and reporting to senior management, regarding the performance, growth and future needs of your team when required.
- Continuously develop your own leadership and people management skills.
- Highly experienced Garment Technologist with at least 4 years’ experience in a similar role.
- A background in childrenswear would be highly desirable.
- Very knowledgeable regarding technical product construction and legislation within the Frugi categories including fabrics, textile technology and clothing production processes.
- Excellent attention to detail at all times.
- Creative and innovative thinker and ‘out of the box’ problem solver.
- Able to presents accurate information to the team, supply chain, directors and managers.
- Excellent and effective communicator in the spoken and written word, with the ability to build relationships at all levels both internally and externally with suppliers.
- An awareness and understanding of cultural diversity to facilitate productive communication and relationships with all contacts.
- Able to manage and motivate a small team.
- Super organised with excellent time management skills to ensure company deadlines are prioritised, monitored and met.
- Computer literacy.
- Ability to travel overseas occasionally as part of the role.
What’s in it for you?
- We’re offering a full time, permanent contract.
- We’ll invest in you with a competitive salary, depending on your skills and experience.
- To help save for your future you can join our company pension scheme, including matched contributions.
- A share of the profits - if we have a good year we’ll share it.
- You’ll get a great discount across our fantastic range.
- We’ll invite you to take part in our healthy workplace activities such as lunchtime walks, yoga, etc.
- We hold regular company events organised by our very own Frugi Fun Committee.
- We offer fabulous career progression and development opportunities. As we grow, you’ll grow too!
- We provide a slightly bonkers but very fun and exciting environment to work in.
How to Apply
Send your CV and a covering letter stating why you are exactly the right person to join our team to email@example.com
Closing date: 31st May 2018. We’ll be interviewing as we go along, so the role may close earlier than advertised. The early bird catches the worm!
Important: All applicants must have the right to live and work in the UK at the time of submitting your application; unfortunately, Frugi are not licensed to sponsor overseas workers.