Client Side Developer - Mobile Apps
Guardian News & Media Ltd has a single vision: To promote and sustain liberal journalism in perpetuity. Renowned for groundbreaking, independent journalism, The Guardian is looking for talented developers to join our Digital Team.
Development of digital products is central to the future of the Guardian. We build the products that showcase our progressive and independent journalism. We create the tools that journalists use to write their stories securely, anywhere from London to Syria and the services that allow those stories to be distributed across the globe. We strive to safeguard the financial sustainability of Guardian journalism.
The team consists of passionate, innovative developers who take pride in what they do and how they do it. If you're interested in joining the team, then get in touch and tell us how you can contribute to the future of the Guardian.
- You will be working within the apps team to develop, enhance and maintain the HTML/CSS/JS templates used by our native apps.
- You are a creative, passionate, and intelligent person who loves technology.
- You may love the news or you may want to reinvent it.
- You take an interest in why we do things, and you're able to focus on delivering value for your team.
- You are a talented developer who is, or aspires to be, an expert in their chosen field and you have a strong interest in growing your skills. As part of this role, you will also have the opportunity to contribute to backend, iOS or Android development.
- You can make intelligent choices regarding what technologies to use and when to use them.
What We Offer
- Flexible working; for example compressed hours, part-time working and working from home
- Generous pension scheme; if you contribute 5% then the Guardian will contribute 8-12% (depending on your age)
- Health insurance and dental scheme
- 26 days annual leave and the option to purchase an extra 5 days
- Up to 18 weeks of parental leave at full pay
- Cycle to work scheme and subsidised gym membership
- Paid volunteering days
- Annual season ticket loan
We strive for transparency in remuneration. The salary for new developers at the Guardian is GBP48k.
We welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds, different lived experiences and different perspectives. A diverse team means we can better reflect and engage our global audience.
We believe in hiring the best people from the widest pool, and also in including them, fostering a culture where people's voices can be heard and our employees look forward to coming to work.
To apply for this position you must already have the right to work in the UK.
Please upload your CV and covering letter as one document. You should also highlight the extent to which your skills/experience meets the requirements of the role and your motivation behind applying.
Our interview process involves three stages: a phone interview, a pairing test and a face to face interview. We offer a remote pairing test for candidates who would have to travel a long distance to our office in London. If you are successful in the phone interview and remote pairing test you will then need you to arrange to come to our office for a further pairing test and a face to face interview.
Find out more about our hiring process here .
Deadline for receipt of applications is Sunday 29th April 2018, with interviews taking place between now and the 4th May.
We value and respect all differences in all people (seen and unseen) at the Guardian. We aspire to inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard and can contribute to our future.