Head of Individual Giving, P4 level - ROME based
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill the Head of Individual Giving position at the P4 level, based in Rome, Italy.
The Private Partnerships Division (PGP) division is undergoing an exciting transformation and is looking for a motivated individual to join as a crucial part of the team. The private sector is uniquely qualified to play a leadership role in ending hunger. Some of the largest and most respected brands and companies in the world - such as MasterCard, Royal DSM, Facebook, Google and many others - are helping achieve zero hunger by enabling WFP to strengthen operations, reach more people, fund lifesaving programs and build public support. They choose to partner with WFP because of WFP's reach, scale and track record to create innovative partnerships that leverage their unique strengths and create lasting impact.
WFP is investing in significantly growing its work with the private sector (including with corporates, Foundations and individual giving).
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive, within delegated authority):
Develop and manage the implementation of the global individual fundraising strategy operated from HQ, with a focus on:
- Identify opportunities to acquire leads and new donors.
- Build a culture of individual giving which focuses on engaging individuals, builds satisfaction/loyalty and identifies opportunities to engage supporters across the organization.
- Manage the Investment Plan for countries prioritized in the Individual Giving Growth Strategy:
- Make recommendations for country markets for investment based on due diligence research and develop investment pilots and plans per selected markets, note that this may include working with existing national "Friends of WFP'/ groups.
- As the divisional expert in individual fundraising and engagement, support the Deputy Director of Private Partnerships in ongoing efforts to make the case for investment in individual giving to internal stakeholders, ensure market testing and pilots managing staff and suppliers as appropriate to lay the groundwork for growing the individual giving investment further.
Oversee the planning and implementation of all initiatives by the digital HQ team for the recruitment, retention, conversion and development of online supporters using digital media:
- Optimize current digital income streams and identifying new ways to raise money from individuals digitally.
- Oversee individual fundraising campaigns, working across teams to integrate with other channels and reach set goals,
- Analyse campaign metrics and key performance indicators to ensure best practices and lessons learned and sharing these metrics/KPls with senior management.
- Lead strategy for testing new and existing techniques and channels.
- Apply specialist digital marketing and fundraising knowledge to the individual growth strategy.
- Support digital tests working with key markets to pilot new techniques and roll out earnings globally. Lead work on digital attribution, dash boarding and benchmarking to ensure that the utilization of investment and reporting of results is accurate and strategic.
- Track the global developments in digital fundraising and engagement platforms across the sector, and beyond, maintaining relationships with key contacts in the digital and fundraising industry.
Manage the WFP HQ Individual Fundraising Team and budget:
- Lead and inspire the team and guide the individual work plans of team members, enabling training and skills development along the way.
- Manage all HR/administrative tasks relating to team members, including performance evaluations and recruitment of replacements.
- Oversee management of external vendors and agencies, including leading internal request for proposal and procurement processes as needed.
- Provide guidance to Friends organizations, (committees) partnership managers, and other staff on online fundraising and digital campaigns
Qualifications & Experience Required
Advanced university degree in Political Science, International Development, Development Economics, Marketing, Communications or other relevant field, or first university degree with additional years of related work experience or training/courses).
Individual Giving and Fundraising Experience:
- Minimum 8 years professional experience in individual giving in a front-line fundraising environment at large national/international organizations, including the management of a significant budget.
- Demonstrated expertise in multiple individual giving techniques particularly digital engagement and including face to face, DRTV and direct mail.
- Ability to provide technical expertise, facilitation and knowledge sharing on individual giving channel best practices, digital giving, fundraising content, digital systems and fundraising analytics support.
- Proven ability in individual donor/supporter conversion and development and donor acquisition in multiple markets.
- Experience managing and deploying a marketing budget as well as guiding specialized individual giving fundraising agencies and providers,
- Ability to lead a diverse team across multiple locations.
- Ability to meet and prioritize multiple deadlines and work as part of a multi-disciplinary team in fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and technological literacy.
- Ability to work in multicultural settings that involve many stakeholders.
- Data-driven with strong analytical, numeracy and problem-solving skills.
- Resourcefulness, entrepreneurial approach, maturity of judgment and tact.
- Creative asset design and in-depth knowledge of web and mobile technologies a plus.
- Experience of managing external creative agencies and fundraising suppliers.
- Strong project management skills including planning and schedule creation.
- Fluency in oral and written English
- Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP's working languages).
Mobility is and continues to be a core contractual requirement in WFP. This position is however classified as "non-rotational" which means the incumbent shall not be subject to the regular reassignment process unless the position is reclassified as rotational.
Terms and Conditions
Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days' annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan, and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org
Deadline for applications: 11th May 2018
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Fighting Hunger Worldwide