Functional Skills Lecturer - HMP Oakwood
HMP Oakwood's education department are looking for an experienced Functional Skills English and Maths lecturer / tutor / teacher to deliver Functional Skills English and Maths up to Level 2 to a diverse group of learners within the prison. As a Lecturer within our Milton Keynes College Offender Learning team you will help to develop a strong Functional Skills programme that meets the needs of the learners, prison and Milton Keynes College.
This is an exciting opportunity for a dedicated lecturer / tutor / teacher to deliver high learner success, through effective teaching and delivery in Functional Skills. This vacancy would suit a highly motivated Functional Skills teacher, with a can do approach to education. The ideal candidate will be a passionate and creative lecturer, who can thrive upon working within a challenging yet rewarding environment, who can offer skills & knowledge to our learners and guide them throughout their courses
Location: HMP Oakwood
Hours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: GBP18,015 - GBP32,578 per annum
Closing Date: 23rd April 2018
Milton Keynes College: Rewards
• 35 days annual leave, 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
• Amazing discounts with NUS card or Blue Light Card , ranging from Eating Out, Shopping and Fashion, Health and Fitness, Music, Technology, Travel and Entertainment
• Access to an employee wellbeing platform with options to book free activities such as yoga, relaxation, boot camp, personal training and a health and wellbeing news hub
• Access to Teachers Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
• Busy Bee's childcare vouchers can save working parents up to GBP933 per year in a variety of registered childcare, such as Nurseries, Nannies, after school activities, Summer Camps and Breakfast Clubs up the age of 15.
• Access to Continued Professional Development, including professional qualifications and a variety of training courses
• Save up to 32% off all bikes through our Cycle To Work Scheme
• 24 hours per day, 365 days per year Employee Assistant Support Programme
• Plus many more???
This role is based at HMP Oakwood which opened in 2012 and is a private sector Category C resettlement prison for males over the age of 21, it is one the largest prisons in England with a current population of 2106. The Education department works in close partnership with G4S to enable learners to become functionally literate, highly skilled, confident and employable through a natural acquisition of learning, delivered through an embedded whole organisational approach and working in partnership with all stakeholders.
The curriculum is designed taking into account both the needs of the prisoner and the local employment needs. It is our vision to be an outstanding provision of offender learning.
As a successful candidate you will:
• Hold a relevant qualification (level 3 or above) in Functional Skills (English and / or Maths)
• Hold a recognised teaching qualification (DTLLS, PGCE, Cert Ed) or willing to work towards
• Hold relevant assessor/verifier awards.
• Have teaching/training or vocational experience in relevant subject area and relevant up-to-date knowledge.
• Have a proven track record of managing and supporting diverse groups of learners through nationally accredited programmes.
• Have experience of identifying, developing and sharing innovative and creative teaching resources
• Have experience of working with students who may have little experience of education and training (desirable).
• Have knowledge of current curriculum and accreditation developments within Further Education and specific subject area(s).
• Have the ability to teach creatively, adapting to the needs of a variety of learners and willing to explore new teaching and learning strategies.
• Have good IT skills and willing to develop further.
• Show accuracy and precision in written presentation.
• The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered.
More about the College
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3, - 18-year-old full-time students studying traditional A Levels, vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education. In addition, the College delivers employability and key skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres and is one of the largest providers of Offender Learning in England, working with 27 prisons across the East Midlands, South Central and West Midlands.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a stringent vetting process to include DBS for all positions.