Higher Education Qualifications Subject Lead for Engineering
Pearson Education Ltd is a leading UK awarding organisation offering a suite of academic and vocational qualifications in over 90 countries worldwide. We have built a reputation as a provider of modern education solutions that help learners from all walks of life realise their full potential. We are driven by the desire to advance learning and change lives. Every day, all over the world, our qualifications help learning flourish. And wherever learning flourishes, so do people.
This post is within the Higher Education Qualifications Department - with a main focus of higher education qualification design, development and product management. This includes the BTEC Higher National Certificate (HNC) and BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) qualifications. The Higher Education Qualifications team is responsible for the strategic oversight of Higher National qualifications, including quality assurance, academic development, academic support and subject matter expertise for all Higher National Programmes. Moving forward, our ambitions include qualifications which access to higher education, and level 6 and 7 qualifications.
This is an exciting opportunity to make a difference to our higher education qualifications' business and students.
Subject Leads will have strategic and operational responsibility for managing the effective design, development, delivery and implementation for identified sectors of higher education qualifications.
The Subject Lead for Engineering will be the primary subject expert, senior academic, and learning and teaching advisor for identified sectors for higher education qualifications.This subject areas of focus will be agreed.
The Subject Lead will work in a multi-disciplinary team to design and develop cutting-edge, industry-focused qualifications and resources to support face-to-face, online and/or blended-learning approaches to the teaching of higher education. The Subject Lead will be the primary point of contact for subject-related inquiries from centres, tutors, and students, in addition to leading on employer and professional body liaison for their sectors. The Subject Lead will develop standards and guidelines for teaching, learning and assessment within the specified subject areas, as well as for approval of new higher education programmes, and drive the development of relevant teaching and learning resources.
- Maintain a deep understanding of the higher education qualification market in sectors as directed by business needs.
- Subject expert and lead with regards to sector external liaison with professional bodies, employers, regulators and higher education providers.
- Lead on the development and support for customised higher education qualifications within the relevant sector to meet local, regional, employer needs.
- Responsible for leading a team of curriculum developers in order to produce higher education qualifications.
- Responsible for ensuring the accuracy of information, the academic credibility of modules, and the relevancy of the subject for industry purposes, both domestically in the UK and internationally.
- Commissioning and liaising with learning designers, multimedia developers and educational technologists to develop online qualifications and associated learning resources.
- Provide key input for the quality assurance of higher education programmes.
- Provide teaching and learning support, including training, in the subject area and generally for centres offering Pearson higher education qualifications and services.
- Drive effective and efficient adoption of the identified sector suites of higher education qualifications, meeting registration and revenue targets.
- Liaise closely with Qualification Development Leads to ensure the portfolio of qualifications is effectively managed.
In addition, each Subject Lead will take on the accountability for a theme on which they will lead across Higher Education Qualifications.
Themes will include, but are not exclusive to:
- Higher and degree apprenticeships
- Learning services
- International opportunities
- Digital learning
This Subject Lead is expected to be:
- Student centred. The SL will need to focus on the student experience and student outcomes for higher education programmes.
- Customer focused. Identify opportunities for growth and support adoption of higher education qualifications.
- Self-starting. Able to work independently as well as collaboratively, using a suite of tools and technologies.
- Constantly evolving. The SL will need to adapt to rapidly changing demands and working processes as Pearson higher education evolves and grows.
- Digitally curious. The SL will require a high level of digital enthusiasm and a willingness to investigate the capabilities of existing and alternative technologies to meet current and emerging requirements.
- Awareness of Higher Education policy and opportunities in the UK and Internationally. Pearson higher education qualifications are offered all over the world; therefore, the SL will require a willingness to investigate best practice, industry engagement and opportunities for growth on an international scale.
You will have the ability to:
- Carry out market and sector research to maintain a deep understanding of qualification market needs; develop network and presence in relevant sectors.
- Translate subject expertise into concise content to be used in qualifications and to produce learning resources.
- Identify relevant, up-to-date learning resources (including those managed by Pearson) appropriate for your subject area.
- Write assessment guidance, assessment criteria and assessment tools for your subject area that are appropriate for higher education programmes.
- Liaise with industry-experts to help inform learning content, resources, and to ensure that content is fit for purpose.
- Liaise with publishing professionals to help development learning content and resources.
- Develop and implement quality assurance processes and procedures for higher education programmes in your subject area, including writing academic documentation and quality assurance policies.
- Provide engaging teaching and learning support services and training packages.
Personal style and behaviours:
You will be creative, flexible, responsive, hard working, organised, enthusiastic and able to handle multiple priorities. You will be confident working alone as well as part of wider teams and have the ability to learn quickly and tackle any challenge with energy and commitment.
Education, Qualifications & Training:
- Degree in a relevant discipline, preferably at Masters level
- Passion for HE that develops students intellectually and professionally
- Experience in teaching and/or curriculum design in HE
- Willingness to embrace the use of technology in HE
- Relevant professional qualification/s
- Experience of working with industry on curriculum design or delivery
- Experience of HE teaching and design at degree level
- Experience of teaching and/or design in an online environment
- Experience of working in relevant industry (non-teaching)
- Experience of international HE in teaching, curriculum design or quality assurance
Personal Style and Behaviours - What we look for in Pearson people
- Drive learner outcomes: We are committed to achieving the best outcomes for our learners. We place the impact on the learner before other considerations, such as personal preference or benefit to a particular team or part of the business.
- Be clear, honest and supportive: We are clear, honest and supportive in how we work together. We respect each other but we don't shy away from difficult conversations and we are comfortable giving and receiving direct and constructive feedback.
- Be responsible and accountable: We demonstrate ownership and accountability for our actions. We make timely and well-informed decisions. We measure and learn from our performance.
- Behave as One Pearson: We embrace all opportunities to work together. We're excited about the collective knowledge and expertise that we share, and we work collaboratively with each other to improve lives through learning.