Test Automation Engineer
Don't just have a great idea, build it.
A vacancy exists for a strong Test Automation Engineer (or Software Developer in Test) to join our FX International Payments team in American Express, Burgess Hill. The successful candidate will join an agile development team (comprising 30+ QA engineers across multiple scrum teams) building an exciting transformation of a high profile financial platform across both UI and API environments and involving both green field and brown field development.
This position suits someone who can hit the ground running, form good working relationships quickly and also add value by introducing best practice design and techniques learned elsewhere.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensure the development team's software is implemented correctly, through the creation and execution of continuous and automated testing validation throughout the development lifecycle
- Manage various test cycles from integration, acceptance, performance, regression to user acceptance testing and production environment evaluations prior to regular production releases
- Provide strong focus on continuous improvement by identifying opportunities to adopt innovative testing technologies, tools and techniques and driving improvements in overall quality, automation and testing processes and techniques.
- Facilitate the team's ownership of the development code, process & change lifecycle, ensuring the platform is well maintained, issues are quickly resolved, and that its capabilities are continuously improved by the team as a whole through a consistent agile approach
- Drive adoption of agile practices and lean thinking throughout department Quality Engineers
Typical 'day in the life of':
- Attend various scrum ceremonies including Product Backlog Review (refine acceptance criteria, estimate user stories), Sprint Planning (agree sprint velocity, identify dependencies), Daily Stand-ups (achieved so far, current day plan, impediments) and Retro (what went well, what can be improved)
- Build development for automatable user stories well before the code is deployed for the testing and execute the automation development for testing the user stories once code is deployed
- Demonstrate the test results of completed user stories to PO and provide the code clean sign off for the accepted user stories at the end of the sprint
- Identify automated development that qualify for Regression and execute regression worthy automation development in Release Regression environment and provide sign off for production release
- Work closely with other teams, namely scrum teams in case of any dependencies, Systems team for any environment / infrastructure issues and other internal Amex teams for any cross team capabilities
- Work with the developers when they perform unit testing to ensure all cases are identified and tested before the code is moved for system testing
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Experience as a Java EE programmer or QA Engineer, with proven ability in writing test cases, developing and running functional, automated and performance tests
- Good knowledge of Java & JEE, including Hibernate, Spring, Junit, Hamcest, mocking (JMock/Mokito), REST, Cucumber, Groovy, Headless browser testing such as PanthomJS or Chrome Headless
- Testing automation tools/frameworks/patterns such as SoapUI, JMeter, Selenium WebDriver, page object, TestNG
- Solid experience in test-driven development (TDD), behaviour-driven development (BDD), unit testing, functional testing, system integration testing, regression testing, GUI testing, web service testing, and browser compatibility testing with good knowledge in performance and security testing
- Knowledge of automated build / continuous integration platforms, especially Maven and Jenkins (Gradle, ANT, Hudson useful)
- Must be pro-active, enthusiastic, flexible, and results driven with a growth mindset and demonstrating strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent spoken and written English, clear oral communication skills and willingness to express new ideas, concerns and opinions to wider team
- Confident self-starter with experience in working with colleagues in offshore locations
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience required; advanced degree preferred
- Any of the following test certifications - ISEB, ISTQB - are a plus
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you'll find out what we're really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you'll hear. It's our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World's Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor's 2017 Best Places to Work. If you're ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process - or need any reasonable adjustments to be made - then please contact the Recruitment Team on or (for Russia based candidates ).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time