Full time including weekends
Woking and Sam Beare Hospices provide specialist palliative care to adults in North West Surrey through a range of services, including In-patient care, Day Hospice and Community care. Our brand new Hospice in Goldsworth Park opened in May 2017.
To provide a comprehensive housekeeping service for patients, visitors and staff in a professional and economical way. The post-holder will work closely with the inpatient ward and front of house managers to ensure a high quality housekeeping service is provided that meets national and local standards. A flexible approach to working is required to ensure appropriate staff coverage of housekeeping duties across all areas of the hospice.
- To supervise and develop housekeeping staff
- To ensure general cleaning and housekeeping across the Hospice is undertaken at frequencies defined in the cleaning schedule
- Work in conjunction with clinical and non-clinical staff to ensure appropriate access is gained in order to clean specific areas.
- To ensure a regular deep-cleaning programme for the Hospice is in place in line with national standards.
- To be a “hands on” supervisor undertaking all cleaning duties as required.
- Prioritise and plan own workload, undertake the planning and monitoring of work schedules and rotas ensuring cover is provided for absent colleagues where necessary
- Ensure that the cleaning operations comply with all the company’s and statutory requirements including Health and Safety at Work Act
- Maintain high standards of cleanliness and hygienic standards in all areas of the Hospice ensuring that the premises are kept tidy and presentable.
- Manage stock levels and ordering of approved cleaning materials
- Notify Inpatient Ward Manager of any faults or equipment needs noted while cleaning.
- Liaise with the Inpatient Ward Manager on turnaround of rooms to be cleaned, likely discharges and planned regular work assignments (e.g. curtain changes).
- Carry out routine checks to ensure that the Hospice Policies of Health and Safety as well as COSHH are being maintained.
- Schedules work and cleaning assignments for the housekeeping team and ensures the cleaning schedule is adjusted, posted and signed off by the Deputy Director of Nursing
- To ensure daily removal of waste and placing refuse for disposal using the correct colour coded bags.
- To ensure all sanitary areas are cleaned daily including replenishing of essential supplies, e.g. paper hand towels, toilet rolls and soap.
- To undertake duties using on site equipment as appropriate, e.g. vacuum cleaner, scrub polisher, carpet cleaner, etc.
- Handle and store linen and maintain adequate stock levels.
- To ensure all cleaning cupboards are kept sufficiently stocked, tidy and locked as appropriate
- To be aware of how to prevent cross-infection as advised by the qualified nursing staff and to comply with guidelines on safe handling of contaminated articles and hand washing procedures.
- To meet the requirements of the Health and Safety At Work Act by regularly attending fire, basic food hygiene moving and handling and safety instruction and being aware of the procedure to be followed in own working area
- Responds to and prioritises requests for contingency/unplanned work and performs housekeeping duties when required and to cover absent staff.
- Conducts department orientation, training and in-services as needed for housekeeping staff
- Performs regular inspections with departmental managers to ensure staff are following established procedures in order to meet compliance and regulatory guidelines and to provide infection control.
- Ensure a high standard of cleanliness throughout the Hospice premises, making sure that all areas are kept tidy and that they comply with Health and Safety regulations.
- Attend mandatory and other courses as required.
- Investigate complaints regarding housekeeping service and equipment and take corrective action.
- Ensure that all housekeeping staff maintain the highest possible degree of hygiene and cleanliness throughout the areas of responsibility.
- To be responsible for the ordering, issuing and security of all stock for housekeeping
- Maintaining the security of any keys entrusted to the staff by following an accurate signing in and signing our procedure.
- Prepare and distribute accordingly the weekly staffing schedules
- To check and authorize the weekly timesheets and annual leave
- To take personal responsibility for the correct use of chemicals for the type of surface and finish required, making certain the handling and usage of such are in line with COSHH regulations, data sheets and instructions given.
Education, Training & Qualifications
- City and Guilds or other qualification in a relevant field
Skills and Abilities
- Be able to prioritise your duties
- Be confident and self-motivated
- Demonstrate a passionate commitment to the Hospice
- Welcome and embrace change, with a positive attitude
- Be able to work unsupervised in a busy environment
- Be able to communicate well with people of all levels
- Be willing to take on jobs to balance the team workload
- Be flexible with regard to shift working
- A good knowledge of infection control is essential.
- Remain calm, patient and polite, if receiving patient or relatives feedback
- be helpful and go out of your way to help our patients and relatives.
- Previous housekeeping experience in a healthcare environment
- Previous Line Management experience
- 3–5 years’ experience in housekeeping in a healthcare environment
Effort (Physical, Mental, Emotional)
- Be honest and reliable
- Be trustworthy and respectful
- Be a good team player
- Be able to build and maintain good relationships with non-clinical and clinical staff
- Be able to work together with the team to ensure that our Hospice is the best it can be
- Be friendly, smiley, sociable and welcoming to our customers and relatives, to create a caring atmosphere
- Be immaculately dressed and have great personal hygiene
- Maintain excellent time keeping and attendance
- Be professional at all times
To apply please email your CV or visit our web site for an application form. Alternatively call the HR Department at Woking Hospice 01483742682.