Business Tax Services - R&D Engineer
An exciting opportunity to work with a dynamic, growing team in the EY Innovation Incentives team, based in Reading.
The successful candidate will get the opportunity to work as part of the wider Business Tax Advisory group of EY, in a diverse team of highly successful tax and industry specialists.
Serving a variety of very high-profile (FTSE 100 and 250 multinational companies) and fast-growing clients, we support companies in claiming the R&D tax credits which were introduced by the government to encourage UK companies to invest in innovation. You will be required to work closely with senior and lead engineers of our clients across the relevant engineering sectors and will be responsible for analysing scientific and technological aspects of their R&D projects. You will play an active role in developing technical reports of clients' projects and taking part in extensive client communication. As well as working directly on existing projects, you will also be offered the chance to support business development opportunities and cross-sector engineering claims.
This opportunity is ideal for a recent graduate or industry-experienced engineer wishing to use their knowledge in a creative and analytical way, and looking for an opportunity to take a leading role with clients.
This role will require you to work in close collaboration within a team-based and consultancy environment. It will also require you to have strong technical knowledge, technical report writing skills, interpersonal and communication skills, project management skills and client relationship-building abilities.
Your key responsibilities
- Leading or working as an effective member of a project team, exhibiting strong communication skills and be able to work collaboratively with other team members of different skill sets
- Writing compelling technical project reports to bring out the key technical factors of client projects to support R&D claims
- Interaction with clients' senior technical and engineering staff in order to develop a comprehensive understanding of the projects undertaken and identify how aspects of projects meet the R&D Guidelines
- Application of advanced problem solving skills and critical thinking to apply to project execution and delivery
- Building and maintaining relationships with clients to provide high levels of client service
- Responsible for high-quality delivery of advice and solutions to major clients, ensuring management of risk and reputation
- A keen desire to adapt and flex existing knowledge to different engineering sectors and build on the core capabilities
Skills and attributes for success
- Engineering Degree qualified
- Ideally, you will have work experience in your chosen industry as an engineer
- You have experience in dealing with technological challenges faced by industry professionals, such as engineering design, the development or improvement of manufacturing processes, development of new products and improvement to existing products
- You have the ability to swiftly adapt to and learn about different industry sectors - such as automotive, aerospace, defence, electronics and have strong business acumen
- You interact readily with other technical professionals, have outstanding interpersonal skills and excel in eloquence and concise summary of information
- Strong attention to detail and first-time accuracy is essential
- Interest in project and company finances and the application of tax treatment
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you'll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions.
Plus, we offer:
- Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that's right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.