Commercial Solicitor - 12 Months FTC
Job Title: Commercial Solicitor - 12 Months FTC
Skill Band: Legal
Location: United Kingdom - London
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018
One Lime Street, London
All leadership roles within Lloyd's have an integral part to play in the achievement of the Strategy and Vision 2025 and will contribute overtly to:
Lloyd's becoming a brand that is globally admired and recognised and respected for its reputation as the world's specialist centre for (re)insurance. Lloyd's will be known around the world for its integrity and will be a place where talented, diverse and socially responsible employees feel proud to work. This leadership role will practice and promote the principles of inclusive leadership and respect the value of diversity.
The Legal Department is a strategic business partner and trusted adviser to the business, its boards and committees, supporting the successful execution of the strategy and protecting the interests of the Corporation and the Market by delivering business focussed legal advice and support whilst minimising exposure to legal risk.
To support the Lloyd's Head of Legal and General Counsel and to provide legal and regulatory advice and support to the Lloyd's senior management, to Lloyd's committees, to a range of internal departments within Lloyd's and to Lloyd's subsidiaries and overseas offices, including market oversight and enforcement.
To be responsible to the Managers, Commercial Team, Corporate Team and Litigation and Enforcement Team as designated at any time for matters referred to below. It is likely that solicitors will be designated to no more than two of these teams at any time:
- With support from the relevant manager as required, provide accurate, pragmatic and timely risk-based legal advice on all legal, corporate, commercial and regulatory matters raised by internal departments including but not limited to the following teams: Corporate Real Estate, ITG, Innovation, Communications & Marketing, Syndicate Underwriting Performance, Policyholder and Third Party Oversight, Risk Aggregation, Syndicate Capability Oversight, Market Finance, Tax, Treasury & Investment Management, Risk Management, Compliance, Global Markets, International Regulatory Affairs and Market Services.
- With support from the relevant manager or external counsel, assisting with drafting, negotiating, reviewing and advising on a wide variety of commercial agreements, including but not limited to, services agreements, consultancy contracts, engagement letters, terms and conditions, software licences, maintenance agreements, data transfer agreements, outsourcing agreements, non-disclosure agreements.
- Reviewing documentation prior to publication by Lloyd's (including but not limited to the Annual and interim report and accounts, thematic reviews, articles)
- With support from the relevant manager as required, provide legal advice on, inter alia, corporate law, contract law, competition law, intellectual property (IP), data protection, IT, employment/ TUPE (in partnership with HR team),
- With support from the relevant manager, provide legal and regulatory advice to Lloyd's senior management and to Lloyd's committees.
- Manage the requirements and expectations of clients/stakeholders on matters and projects including cross-directorate and cross-market projects involving multiple stakeholders.
- Plan and prioritise workloads.
- Communicate progress of ongoing matters at regular intervals to clients and to the respective Team Managers and, as appropriate, the Head of Legal.
- With agreement and support from the relevant manager, instruct and manage outside firms of solicitors and other external advisers where appropriate.
Specific to Litigation and Enforcement:
- Assisting with the conduct of Formal Inquiries into matters of alleged misconduct
- Assisting with the conduct of Lloyd's enforcement and disciplinary proceedings and to represent Lloyd's before any Enforcement Tribunal
- Assisting withthe conduct of any appeals before the Market Supervision and Review Committee (MRSARC) or the Lloyd's Appeal Tribunal and represent Lloyd's in formal proceedings before MSARC or the Appeal Tribunal
- Experience of providing risk based legal advice to senior management, internal departments, subsidiaries and to overseas offices on a range of corporate, regulatory and commercial matters and projects.
- Experience of working with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience of progressing a variety of matters at the same time and with competing deadlines.
- Experience of managing cross-directorate and multi-stakeholder matters and projects
- Knowledge of some of the following areas of law (focus depending on which teams the solicitor is going to support): Agency law, Trust law, Banking and Finance law, Company/Commercial law, Contract law, Competition law, Data Protection law, IP law, Regulatory law, the UK's regulatory framework for financial services, Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Bribery and Sanctions regulation.
- Knowledge of Lloyd's including its governance arrangements, its licensing structure, its regulators, its financial arrangements, its market oversight arrangements, its Acts, byelaws and regulations, its capacity transfer market and arrangements for major syndicate transactions and its commercial affairs generally.
- Knowledge of the Lloyd's market and the wider insurance industry and of the major and emerging insurance market trends, developments and risks that impact Lloyd's and the Lloyd's market.
- Influencing and Negotiating Skills
- Stakeholder Management Skills
- Project Management Skills
- Risk Management Skills
- Legal Research Skills
- Collaborative Skills
- Analytical ability
- Strategic thinking and analysis
- Drafting skills
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Team-player but ability to manage own workload
As the successful candidate, you can expect to be rewarded with a competitive salary, an enviable range of benefits.
To apply, please visit
At Lloyd's we believe that innovation comes from having an inclusive culture of equality and diversity. We use ClearTalents to discover how we might help you feel welcomed, supported and able to do as well as you can when applying to work for us, including identifying any reasonable adjustments that we may need to make. Should you feel that you require reasonable adjustments during your application process we request that you please follow this link to create a ClearTalents user profile: