- Full Time
At Barclays we have changed the way we design and implement software ensuring our customer is the driving focus. We have removed the layers between the user and the technology team using Agile methodologies to drive feature teams. We have embraced the world of open source technologies to ensure we are evolving with the fast pace world of technology but without putting ourselves at risk. We are now looking to scale our workforce to make sure we aren't only keeping up with the pace but being the pace setters. Are you interested in joining the new wave of digital banking and being at the fore front of how people interact with money?
As part of the Channels Engineering team we are looking for developers who are excited by the coding, interested in DevOps and passionate about user experience. You will be responsible for delivery from the initial idea through to implementation of the features used by both Barclays customers and our colleagues. The multi-channel applications are provided across web, mobile, telephony and contact center platforms. The applications you will deliver make use of the latest UI, container and api technologies, deployed onto cloud platforms.
- To lead system engineering activity and be responsible for all changes to multiple applications / products across the end-to-end software development lifecycle including run and retirement of systems.
- To maintain an in-depth technical understanding of multiple applications / products, being recognised as the 'go to' contact for technical queries, live incidents and problems.
- To provide system-specific knowledge and technical expertise to assist in the definition of technical strategies or business solutions.
Knowledge and Experience
- End-to-end software development lifecycle.
- Software development methodologies, e.g. waterfall and agile.
- Awareness of leading-edge tools, techniques and services within IT.
- Digital UX / UI design and implementation, specifically in rich internet applications.
- Knowledge of Testing and Mocking frameworks.
- Frameworks and libraries providing client side MVC / MVVM, routing, feature detection and poly-fills.
- Software development consisting of the following languages and technologies:
- Good knowledge of JQuery, HTML5, CSS3 and HTTP.
- Single page application development, AngularJS preferred.
- Knowledge of CucumberJS, ExtJS, Jasmine, Backbone, Knockout and Bootstrap.
- J2EE frameworks such as Spring (MVC, Web services) and Hibernate.
- Relational Databases such as Oracle / DB2 / SQLServer.
- Webservices and knowledge of SOAP & REST.
- Distributed Version Control Software such as Git and Bitbucket.
- Build tools such as Gradle and Jenkins.
- Knowledge of Test Driven Development (TDD) and/or Behaviour Driven Development (BDD).
- Knowledge of automated testing, continuous integration and deployment tools and practices.
- Maintaining an in-depth understanding of relevant and up to date technical knowledge, applications and techniques.
- Using technical knowledge to create new opportunities and solutions.
- Strong level of experience of IT software development (essential).
- Financial services, investment management/banking (preferred).
- Broad knowledge of Barclays Group (beneficial).
Technical Consultancy and Requirements Gathering (25%)
- Provide technical consultancy for new initiatives, to assist in the definition of business solutions or technical strategies.
- Undertake impact assessment including estimates for change requests against applications / products within the domain.
- Solve unique and complex technical problems with broad impact on the business unit as a whole.
- Provide full and detailed analysis, insightful commentary and recommendations for technical action as appropriate in accordance with agreed standards, and with re-use in mind.
- Develop a broad awareness of new tools, processes and technical developments relevant to component area of expertise, and seek opportunities to apply them.
- To aid in the definition of product strategy and Roadmaps.
- Liaise with UK retail banking colleagues to help shape initial ideas into firm system requirements, ensuring that they are sufficiently comprehensive and detailed to support effective system development.
- Present complex technical ideas (both written and verbal), anticipate potential objections and persuade others to adopt the most appropriate view.
- Establish an end-to-end view and capture all key requirements. Establish clear functional and non-functional requirements (e.g. capacity, availability, response times, etc.).
- Ensure that all requirements are 'testable' and agree test strategy with business and test team lead.
- Understand technical constraints of live environment / architecture, support business clients in understanding any 'requirement versus cost' trade-offs.
- BSc degree in relevant software engineering discipline, equivalent to UK 2nd class honours (preferred).
- Formal qualification in area of specialism, e.g. Sun Java certification (beneficial).
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US. Our goal is to become the bank of choice by providing superior services to customers and clients and supporting our stakeholders via a commercially successful business that generates long-term sustainable returns.
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
To be considered for this role, click on the apply button now.
Barclays Values & Diversity
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportun ity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.