Senior Analyst Programmer
Senior Analyst Programmer
Salary: £37,000 to £50,000pa (depending upon experience)
Hours: 35 hours pw - Cheadle
UK Biobank is a visionary organisation supporting national and international health research, with the aim of improving the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of diseases that strike in mid to later life, including cancer, heart disease, diabetes and dementia. The organisation is fast becoming a real focus for innovative, exciting health research world-wide and is currently seeking a Senior Analyst Programmer to join our busy informatics team.
The success over the past decade to create a major resource for scientific endeavour has generated multi-million pound investment to improve the resource further - from undertaking key biochemistry assays to genotyping and exome sequencing and an ambitious project to MR image 100,000 participants now under way (the biggest research study of its kind ever undertaken). None of this would be possible without the on-going development of imaginative IT solutions to store and retrieve vast amounts of data safely (while keeping participants' identify secure) and the commitment of a wide range of some of the world's most eminent researchers, who advise and guide.
Thousands of researchers are now using UK Biobank, and papers are being published in key research journals weekly. The resource relies on maintaining the generous and active support of its volunteer participants to achieve its goal of making major improvements to the health of future generations.
If you could be as excited about this resource as we are, see what approved researchers have to say about the resource on Twitter: @uk_biobank
The IT department has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Analyst Programmer to join our team in Cheadle, Manchester. The successful candidate will report into the IT Director. You will be responsible for leading development and implementation of Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) and other critical internal Information Systems (IS) that handle large volumes of scientific data. You will be highly experienced in all aspects of the project lifecycle and data management. You will apply your skills and energy for the greater good.
You will have a degree in Informatics, Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Science or related field. We are looking for people with prior experience in implementing/managing a LIMS system and working with big/complex data sets. Ideally you will have strong biotech, pharmaceutical or life sciences industry expertise and leadership.
* 5 years' experience working with web technologies, C# and framework.
* Experience with a range of development tools, IDE and testing frameworks & tools.
* 5 years' experience working with relational database management systems.
* Demonstrated experience of best practices for organizing, managing and reporting on data.
* Thorough knowledge of laboratory processes and procedures and automated systems.
* Practical experience using agile methodologies such as Test Driven Design, SCRUM, Continuous Integration.
* Ideally you will have practical experience of Business Intelligence strategies and technologies.
* Ideally you will have knowledge/experience of standardized quality control pipelines for ensuring data quality, provenance and integrity.
* Ideally you will have demonstrable experience of creating and implanting coaching and mentoring programmes.
We offer a competitive salary, 26 days holiday, membership of the USS pension scheme, salary sacrifice schemes; staff discounts scheme, life assurance cover and other employee benefits.
Please click 'Apply' now to submit a covering letter and curriculum vitae. The closing date for applications is 5 on Friday 20th April 2018.
UK Biobank operates to ISO9001:2015 and ISO27001:2013 regulations as well as UKAS 17025:2005 regulations.