Tax Manager, Enhanced Tax Services
Based on the investment markets where Northern Trust offer custody services, the taxation functions primarily within the scope of this role are:
• withholding taxes on dividend and interest income
• stamp duties and other transaction taxes
• capital gains taxes (generally limited to those CGT regimes imposed on non-resident investors)
The key responsibilities of the role include:
Market change management-
• Review all relevant market changes and validate with secondary source
• Determine client impact and provide detailed, tailored output
• Identify bespoke relief opportunities from tax market changes and new client investment markets
• Manage implementation of any resultant service expansion
• Create tax technical "challenges" where relevant and support resultant process
• Coordinate monthly client meetings providing relevant updates and impact analysis
• Conduct tax technical determination of product development initiatives and where appropriate, create / manage project plan.
• Undertake continued tax analysis to determine market opportunities for the Tax product.
• Conduct regular client service reviews to identify growth opportunities and respond to client feedback
• Participate in tax governance meetings, highlighting areas of concern and potential opportunity for service expansion
• Ensure relevant internal partners are appraised of product developments and prospect clients.
• Create tax proposal for clients / prospects.
• Conduct cost benefit analysis.
• Create marketing materials / presentation slides.
• Answer taxation questions from prospects (RFPs and other).
• Present to prospective clients.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a strong asset servicing operational taxes technical background together with excellent communication skills. In summary, the successful candidate will have the following skills:
• Operational taxes experience gained with an Asset Servicing environment, ideally with exposure to fund / asset pooling products and services.
• Experience in the Financial Services industry, especially asset management and insurance sectors.
• Strong knowledge of securities services and fund management industry, with good operational and technology background.
• Strong financial/business management skills and proficiency in strategic analysis.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Experience in managing projects.
• Excellent persuading and influencing skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively at all levels, both verbally and written.
• Ability to work effectively with multiple competing deadlines.
About Northern Trust
For more than a century, Northern Trust has worked hard building our legacy of outstanding service, expertise and integrity. From a Chicago-based bank founded in 1889, we now have more than 20 international locations and 16,500 employees globally. We serve the world's most-sophisticated clients - from sovereign wealth funds and the wealthiest individuals and families, to the most-successful hedge funds and corporate brands.
We burnished our reputation as a global leader delivering innovative investment management, asset and fund administration, fiduciary and banking solutions enabled by sophisticated, leading technology. And through it all, we continually laid a solid, forward-looking foundation on which future generations can continue growing and achieving greater.
Northern Trust proudly cultivates a diverse workforce, to serve our diverse client base. We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company. We encourage applications from the best regardless of ethnicity, gender, gender identity, age, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, education, socio-economic background, parental and caring status, or religion.
As of March 31, 2017, Northern Trust Corporation had:
• $121 billion in banking assets
• $7.1 trillion in assets under custody
• $8.9 trillion in assets under custody/administration
• $1.0 trillion in assets under management