7 days left
- Full Time
Full Time, Permanent Contract
Location – Hams Hall (Birmingham)
Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
ABP is the UK’s leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK’s busiest port and Southampton, the UK’s leading export port and number one for cars and cruise. The group's other activities include rail terminal operations (Hams Hall Rail Terminal), ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
In 2015 ABP and its customers handled 92 million tonnes of cargo. Together with our customers, we support 84,000 jobs and contribute £5.6 billion to the UK economy every year.
This position will be based in Hams Hall, an independent rail terminal focussed on strong customer service and meeting the needs of its clients.
The performance of Hams Hall is recognised by the list of awards it has won and been nominated for by the industry, as well as being recognised by the Department for Transport which used Hams Hall as a case study for benchmarking rail terminal operations.
The post holder will be responsible for the movement of containers, in and out around the rail terminal, through the use of plant equipment which you will be responsible for pre-checking before use as well as the safe application of driving.
The successful candidate will be expected to achieve company and customer service level agreements as well as key performance indicators, ensuring operational targets are met.
- Responsible to carry out pre check of all vehicles before use, in order to ensure vehicle is safe and fit for purpose. And recording on PRE USE FORMS
- To carry out the day-to-day activities of yard operatives to maximise the efficiency of the terminals loading and unloading operations
- To load and unload trains and road vehicles using the reach stackers
- To assist rail operations through operating the signal panel to accept and dispatch trains, as directed by the Coordinator
- To operate the shunt locomotive under the direction of the Shunter to facilitate the safe movement of rail wagons and trains
- To accept operational direction by the Coordinator on shift
- To keep the on Duty Coordinator informed of any machine stoppage, interruption or impact that may affect KPI or customer service levels
- To help cover shifts arising from team sickness or holiday
- To maintain the cleanliness of the whole working area and the designated rest areas
- To ensure that visitors and contractors on the yard comply, with all security and safety regulations when on site
- To undertake any other duties as may be required and as deemed to be within your capabilities
Skills and Experience
- Current fork lift license, with experience of driving a fork lift to meet planned deadlines
- Full UK driving license, with ability to travel to work on rostered anti-social shift patterns
- Basic I.T skills of operating a tablet in an operational environment
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Must be able to meet flexible working patterns of a rail terminal in order to meet daily volatile operating requirements in the rail freight domain
- Excellent communication skills to be able to highlight issues in good time to coordinators
- Ability to work on own and achieve planned target times/ KPIs in order to stop customer penalties
- A fundamental understanding of Health and Safety principles including plant operation / mandatory vehicle pre-use checks
- In date written competency for a Reach Stacker driver
- Recorded proof of reach stacker driving, specifically in Konecrane or Kalmar type reach stackers. DRF type experience would be ideal
- Experience of a yard role at a rail freight container terminal
- Knowledge and experience of operating the Auto store system for terminal operations in a rail terminal or warehouse
- Knowledge and experience of using a terminal operating system or warehouse system
- Recorded proof of security training for a secure approved channel tunnel international freight forwarding
- Recorded training and competency in class 08 or 09 shunt locomotives
- Recorded competency in signal box, signal panel board use for permanent “P” way operations
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position also.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.