Complex Securities - Executive
About the Opportunity
Are you good at seeing the big picture? Then join EY to gain experiences that will last a lifetime. We're looking for an Executive to join our team because we are experiencing tremendous growth in TAS currently.
Ernst and Young's Valuation & Business Modelling team (V&BM) is looking to expand its existing Complex Securities business to capture exciting opportunities, particularly within the Private Equity, Capital Markets and Energy industry sectors. As a result, we are looking for an experienced Executive with strong financial engineering skills to grow our team to the next level.
V&BM work provides the opportunity for a variety of assignments, from office-based to client-based work; from an assignment that lasts a couple of days to very large assignments working as part of a multi-disciplinary team. The nature of the work is project based and covers a spectrum of industries and asset classes. As no two projects are the same, the work requires a high level of adaptability, flexibility and innovation.
The Complex Securities team provides services to clients that can range from valuation of a wide range of complex financial products, the construction of models that price or analyse financial risk, to review of client models or valuations in a similar field.
Valuation & Business Modelling is an integrated national team of over 150 people providing Business Valuation, Financial Modelling and Economic Advisory services. A centre of excellence for Valuation & Business Modelling services in the UK, Ernst & Young's Economic Advisory group has a growing international reputation within the wider firm.
- Carry out valuations of complex financial products and derivatives.
- Collect and analyse financial market data and time series.
- Develop solutions for clients based on sound quantitative models.
- Prepare and present reports to support these analyses and solutions.
- Review complex quantitative models developed by clients or third parties.
- Assist senior consulting staff with statistical and analytic support.
- Work within available budgets and tight timelines while keeping the assignment manager updated with progress.
Experience and Qualifications
Suitable applicants will be highly numerate and analytical graduates, preferably with an MSc or PhD in financial mathematics or a highly numerate subject.
Candidates will have experience of modelling securities and derivative instruments, and applying financial engineering techniques in a practical setting. They understand the fundamentals of valuation, prepare an independent analysis, and explain the rationale behind the chosen approach. The experience will have been gained in financial services, consultancy or in a relevant role in industry, with demonstrable problem solving skills.
Applicants will need to demonstrate strong technical modelling or programming skills, with expert knowledge of Excel and VBA, and/or other programming tools such as MATLAB or R. In addition, they will be able to deliver to demanding deadlines, be a team worker and possess good communication skills, with the ability to communicate the essence of complex models and concepts to less technical personnel and clients.
Whilst not essential, it would be advantageous to have knowledge of any of the following:
- Fixed income markets and debt financing.
- IAS 39 / IFRS 13 and other accounting standards relating to the measurement of financial instruments and derivatives.
- IFRS 2 and other accounting standards relating to share-based payments and employee incentives.
- Pricing commodity and energy market derivatives.
- Simulation techniques in financial engineering and economics.
- Prior experience of applied financial engineering in a transactions environment would be a distinct advantage.
- A logical approach to complex problem solving;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Responsive to client requests for information or guidance;
- Adaptable and flexible to work on a wide range of assignments;
- Attention to detail and a keen desire to drill down into the key issues;
- Strong teaming and team-building skills.
About EY and our Vision
EY is a global professional services organisation providing advisory, assurance, tax and transaction services. We are committed to doing our part in building a better working world for our people, our clients and our communities. And we are united by our shared values and a dedication to delivering exceptional client service
We have ambitious goals for 2020. Globally, we want to be #1 or #2 in professional services and be the best brand. To achieve this, our teams need to perform at the highest level, and have a relentless focus on delivering the excellent client service that will help us to continue to grow and become the market leader. In this context, your career will develop and grow.
We make sure our people succeed. The networks you build and the experiences you have with us will help define and accelerate the rest of your career. Last year in the UK, nearly 2,000 of our people were promoted or progressed within their grade, and we are significantly increasing the number of partners in the UK. So when you build something better at EY, we make sure you're rewarded.
Who we are:
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.