Senior / Environmental Health Practioner
Senior / Environmental Health Practitioner Job | Haringey, London | Flexible Working
Your new company
Haringey is a place of great opportunity, with enormous potential for growth - a growing economy, more and better housing and flourishing communities. Haringey is part of one of the world's greatest cities and they benefit hugely from that. This really is a great chance to embark on a career and gain invaluable experience within a forward thinking council that is rapidly becoming one of the most exciting London boroughs to work in.
Your new role
You will be required to carry out the full range of proactive and reactive interventions in relation to food safety, occupational health & safety, accident and incident investigations, infectious disease, licensing and planning. You will also provide guidance, advice and educational programs to local businesses and voluntary services.
- To provide specialist enforcement skills and competencies that reflects the responsibilities of the team. To carry a caseload (including complex enforcement issues) prioritising and programming work and making day-to-day decisions on cases as required.
- Carry out routine and complex inspections and interventions in food premises and places of work. Using own initiative to ensure compliance and advising senior management on cases where there may be an impact on the council and the service in terms of public protection, legal and financial consequences.
- Carry out investigations in response to complaints made to the service from consumers and other agencies; and carry out enforcement action as appropriate.
- To enforce requirements of all environmental health legislation in or arising from commercial premises.
- To maintain an up to date knowledge of environmental health matters in accordance with the statutory CPD requirements and in particular for full authorisation under Food Safety and Health and Safety legislation.
- To use appropriate interventions, delegated powers and specialist skills ( i.e. audit, inspection, verification, surveillance, intelligence gathering, enforcement powers, negotiation and persuasion) to carry out investigations, inspections, tests and sampling including that in regard to:
- Physical condition of premises and equipment
- Condition and quality of food stuffs and other materials
- Food hygiene
- Food standards
- Suitability of premises for licensing
- Source and spread of infectious disease
- Pest control
- Existence of noise and other pollutants
- Accidents in the work place
- Planning applications
What you'll need to succeed
- An appropriate professional qualification in Environmental Health (CIEH).
- EHORB Registration
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and confidently at all levels, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to prepare reports
- In-depth experience of one or more areas of Environmental Health
- Ability to organise own workload to achieve targets, priorities and deadlines
- Demonstrate commitment to equalities in employment & service provision. Understanding of Council policy on equalities
- Ability to work as a member of a team, contributing to a wider goal
- The ability to use information technology (word processing, spread sheet and database applications).
- Ability to demonstrate motivation and initiative in seeking, investigating and reporting on Environmental Health issues
- An understanding of the Service's wider objectives
- The ability to source and provide training
- To be able to represent the Service in an external group
What you'll get in return
Flexible working, defined benefit pension scheme, flexible retiring options, generous annual leave (which can be carried over from other LA's in some cases), long service award (which can be carried over from other LA's in some cases), learning & development, interest free season ticket loan, Reduced entry to Haringey leisure centres and gyms and childcare vouchers.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.