Sewing Machinist/ Seamstress
We seek an experienced industrial machinist to join our small, hard-working team based in Longton, Stoke on Trent. The ideal candidate will have worked within the bags and accessories sector and be able to work alone to produce items from given fabrication instructions.
This position is to support the launch of an exciting new project which raises vital charity funds for our work in Malawi, Africa. Called Cycle of Good, the project aims to recycle materials, mainly old bicycle inner tubes to give them a new lease of life as useful, beautiful products which we will sell worldwide.
Candidate must be able to:
- Follow detailed designs to create bags and accessories from a variety of materials including recycled rubber
- Sew consistently to produce batches of identical items that are robust and long-lasting
- Accurately measure, piece and cut materials
- Maintain an eye for detail to create consistent products of the best possible quality
- Work independently towards targets and tight deadlines
- Maintain a safe and tidy working environment, carry out day to day maintenance of machines
- Operate a flatbed straight stitch, zig-zag, binder and click press machine
Ideally the candidate should be:
- Experienced ideally in the creation of wallets, bags, accessories. Preferably well versed with heavy duty materials such as leather.
- Creative and enjoy working to produce well crafted items
- Friendly, flexible and happy to work at the beginning stages of a project where priorities can quickly change
- Able to work with little supervision
- Willing to uphold the aims, values and ethos of the charity
- Local to the Stoke on Trent area
The successful candidate will be based alongside our other charity projects in our warehouse in Longton. It's a basic but sufficient set-up, we have a make do and mend attitude, we work hard to make every penny we raise for the charity worthwhile! You will be the only machinist in the short term and will report to our part-time product designer.
We're are offering a temporary six month contract in the first instance, this will be extended depending on the success of the project. We are seeking someone to work for 24 hours per week (these may be worked flexibly Mon-Fri), again these hours may increase as the project grows.
Interviews will be held week commencing 16th April. We will only contact shortlisted candidates. The successful candidate will be offered employment subject to positive employer references and a DBS check.
Please call George, Krizevac Project UK Manager for more details on 01543 888494 There is no application pack, to apply please email your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org