School/Service: Campus Infrastructure and Operational Support Services
Reporting To: Cleaning Supervisor
Main purpose of the job:
To undertake cleaning duties within various buildings.
Main duties and accountabilities:
- To be responsible to the Cleaning Supervisor in charge of the building for carrying out various cleaning tasks and responsibilities.
- To carry out routine and occasional cleaning tasks in all areas of the building(s), which are the responsibility of the relevant Manager in charge to keep a clean and hygienic condition, including staff rest rooms and kitchens.
- The post holder will be expected to be flexible in their approach and when necessary move to other areas of the campus to clean
- General cleaning to include stairs, corridors and toilets.
- Be able to follow instructions and clean to the BICSc standard (training will be given)
- A weekly cleaning schedule will be provided listing the normal routine you will follow. It may be necessary to vary this at the discretion of the supervisor in charge due to differing uses of the building and to sickness and holiday absence.
- Attend all mandatory training courses along with those identified by your line manager/supervisor as necessary to carry out your job to the best of your ability.
- To work within the Health & Safety at work act. The post holder has a legal duty to take reasonable care for all health & safety both for themselves and others who may be affected by their actions.
- Wear the Uniform issued to you at all times whilst on duty.
- Personal appearance & hygiene – To maintain a good personal appearance and personal hygiene both to comply with health & safety regulations and maintain standards which customers will accept of the University.
- Safe working practices – To work in a safe manner using equipment safely and cleaning materials according to instructions; wearing the protective clothing that is provided and maintaining a safe environment for others to work in. To be aware of emergency procedures and fire points and equipment and report all accidents.
- Hygiene practices – To maintain appropriate hygiene practices in cleaning and associated activities.
- Effective working – To avoid waste and work methodically.
- Interpersonal skills – To give and receive information effectively, to maintain a good attitude to customers and work well as a member of the team.
- Carry out light portering tasks as required.
This job description summarises the main duties and accountabilities of the post and is not comprehensive: the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties of similar level and responsibility.