Retail Manager - Gift Shop Blair Castle
Atholl Estates - Castle Gift Shop Manager
Job Title: Castle Gift Shop Manager
Reporting to: General Manager as line manager and Head of Sales and Marketing for sales and presentation
Responsible for: Generating all sales, all stock keeping, cash handling and shop display matters.
Background to the position
Atholl Estates covers an area of approximately 145,000 acres in Highland Perthshire, managed centrally from the Estate Office in Blair Atholl, a picturesque village close to the resort town of Pitlochry and less than two hours drive from Edinburgh and Glasgow.
The estates are probably best known for Blair Castle, an iconic Scottish castle whose history dates back to the 13 th century. The castle is open to visitors throughout the year and we also have a significant number of group visits. We also host corporate and public events, functions and weddings throughout the year.
Atholl Estates is run on a commercial basis, but with a strong element of corporate, social and environmental responsibility. The core businesses are tourism, farming, forestry, house lettings, horse trials, field sports and property development.
The post is designed to allow the successful candidate to concentrate on delivering the best possible gift shop experience for our many and varied customers. In addition, we will be introducing an EPOS system to our retail operation during the winter 2018, which will help us track and analysis our retail business.
Working closely as part of the Castle Management Team, the successful candidate's key role is to be responsible for the sales, displays and operations within the Gift Shop at Blair Castle, reaching or exceeding annual performance targets. A hands-on approach is essential for this role.
It is your responsibility to provide, through the castle gift shop team, an excellent experience for our guests, maintaining the high standards expected by the management team, our customers and in keeping with our Visit Scotland 5 star visitor attraction rating. The Gift Shop is a key department within the castle revenue operation and it is vital that you are a team player to work with other managers and supervisors to ensure a smooth running.
You will also provide back up for the Duty Management team, through which you will learn about all aspects of the castle operation, which will give you essential background knowledge about the castle and estate to ensure an excellent experience for our guests.
The castle is open every day during the main season (Easter to end of October) with limited winter opening and coach mornings. Our staff work on rota and currently our day visitor and function operations share the same teams.
- Gift Shop Management
- To supervise and monitor the sale of goods from the Castle Gift Shop to ensure reaching or exceeding annual sales targets.
- Generating all sales, buying of stock, all stock keeping, cash handling and shop display matters
- To supervise, train and issue rotas Gift Shop staff.
- Installation of an EPOS system within the gift shop.
- To monitor and reorder shop stock.
- To maintain stock control in the shop and related storage areas.
- To work with Accounts Assistant to ensure proper cash handling, including checking and accounting for daily takings is completed.
- To ensure shop opening and closedown is completed for normal castle opening and any special events, including clearing shop, stocktaking, etc.
- To liaise closely with Accounts, General Manager and Management as required in staffing matters, routine and forward planning issues.
- To make sure the health and safety of customers and staff is paramount in your management approach and to be responsible for evacuations and dealing with unexpected events.
- To work closely with the Senior Trustee on all aspects of the shop operation and products.
- Castle Management Team
- To be Duty Manager for the day visitor operation for two days per week (Possibly more at quieter times of the year)
- To support colleagues in the castle management team on other projects as appropriate and when available.
- To take a leading role in recruitment, induction and continual training for the retail operation.
- To support the development of a motivated and proactive team within the castle, able to adjust within a changing market and maintain high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Dealing with any customer complaints, comments or queries, ensuring a satisfactory outcome for customers wherever possible.
- To carry out regular evacuation drills in conjunction with the castle fire officer and play an active role in reviewing and refining the collections evacuation drill.
- Ensuring health and safety requirements are adhered to throughout the castle operation, with safety for all staff and customers paramount in our approach to daily operations.
- Provide first aid cover whilst on duty (we will provide full training for this)
- Any other reasonable requests or duties which may arise.
- Promotion of the aims and objectives of the Investors in People standard
- Interest in and support of events and operations around the estate
- Adherence of approved estate brand guidelines for all presentations
- Terms and Conditions
- Competitive salary (discussed with short listed candidates)
- The Gift Shop Manager is required to work on a five days out of seven rota. There will be extensive weekend work throughout the year. The successful candidate will need to maintain a flexible approach to working hours.
- Accommodation may be available with this post and if needed, this will be negotiated as part of the salary package.
- Defined contribution company pension.
Qualifications and training
- Good general education
- Customer service training
- 1 st Aid training
- Good understanding and awareness of Health and Safety at work
- Personal alcohol licence holder
- Education reports
- Details of training courses
- Extensive experience of retail sector
- Good experience of EPOS systems
- Good experience of working with a diverse team
- Experience of managing staff in a busy customer service environment
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise a busy workload
- Experience working in a visitor attraction
- Managing basic budgets
- Responsible for regular cashing up
- Experience of working with cultural change within teams
- CV and work history
- Ability to operate flexibly to adapt to changing circumstances
- Strong organisational skills
- Good range of IT skills
- Interest in history/ arts/ architecture
- CV and approach to work
- Trustworthy and dependable
- An outgoing, resilient, confident but caring nature
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to motivate a very diverse team
- Able to communicate courteously with a wide range of people
- Good timekeeper
- Willingness to be 'hands on'