At Pearson, we're committed to a world that's always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it's one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe.
We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology - and each other to surpass these boundaries - we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world's innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Purpose of the role:
This is a user interface design role in the Pearson Global Product Organisation. The role focuses on the ownership of user interface design within cross-functional product development teams.
The role holder will ensure that product user interfaces reflect learning and experience design principles. He/she will design product interfaces to be more engaging and effective for the user, making proposals on UI design decisions for the consideration of other stakeholders and design collaborators. In particular, he/she will work closely in paired practice with UX Designers, implementing, extending and embellishing their initial execution to high fidelity across device multiple form factors.
He/she will provide support, with moderate guidance, to Product Management, Engineering and UX teams, to ensure UI development meets business expectations and WCAG AA accessibility standards
- Working with and between UX and development teams in an evidence-based design process, generating UI artefacts to meet the scope of product requirements, ensuring that the resulting user experience properly integrates with desired learning and experience design principles.
- Provides support, with moderate guidance, on how to design products to be more engaging and effective for the user, makes proposals on UI design decisions for the consideration of other stakeholders.
- Provides support, with moderate guidance, to Engineering teams to ensure that UI development meets UX and Product expectations.
- Able to translate wireframes and other UX artefacts into compelling UI deliverables. Has a decent understanding of financial opportunities associated with design projects of varying scale, working within parameters of budget and cost relative to market potential and doing so with moderate guidance.
- Maintain high standards of design quality through contribution to and working within Pearson UX design systems. Responding to agile design audits and scaling design solutions across platforms effectively and efficiently.
- Provide cross platform micro-interactions with clear consideration for both functional enhancements and compelling experiences to end users. Handover of clear specifications with close communication with developers for product deliverables.
- Contributes to the design of specific Pearson products with learner needs in mind. Interpreting data and research from UX and other stakeholders to understand learner desires; embeds these inputs into product user interface designs directly with moderate guidance.
- Member of cross-functional product design and development teams. Can be considered a subject matter expert to the team in creating effective user interfaces. Leverages inputs and data from other stakeholders to create engaging and product appropriate user interfaces, in accordance with market need and does so with moderate guidance.
- Incorporates cutting-edge digital capability into Pearson product offerings. Provides support in execution of specific products, to maximize the digital user experience and create appropriate consistency across Pearson products with moderate guidance. Working to be a digital UI subject matter expert to build teams, to ensure the intended digital experience is achieved through the Pearson products before release to the market.
- Good experience in User Interface design.
- Fluent working knowledge of Sketch, Illustrator and select prototyping tool.
- Good working knowledge of microinteraction/animation tools
- Good knowledge of topics related to HCI, IA, IxD.
- Good knowledge of responsive and native solutions.
- Good knowledge of established design languages and out-of-box solutions (e.g. Material Design, Human Interface, Bootstrap).
- High level of creativity, sense of aesthetics.
- Ensuring the highest quality of the created designs.
- Diligence, responsibility, timely delivery.
- Communicative command of English.
- Collaborative interpersonal skill-set
- Open mind and willingness to develop.
- Specialised higher education (at least a BA degree).