Nr High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
Salary: £30,000-£35,000 + benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week.
Working as a member of a small team, the Grants Officer will work closely with the RAF Central Fund’s (‘the Fund’) Senior Management Team, beneficiary groups and internal RAF departments to develop and deliver a cohesive grant making strategy and will be responsible for supporting, administering and communicating the charity's grant giving programme.
- Support the Head of Operations to develop a cohesive grant giving programme; developing priorities for funding; a suitable mechanism for identifying appropriate projects; undertaking research and assisting in the preparation of policy proposals and discussion papers for the Grants Committee and Trustees.
- Support the Head of Operations in the execution and development of grants policy and criteria to support grant awards for RAF sporting activities.
- Provide grant applicants and prospective applicants with advice and guidance to support the bid process.
- Provide applicants and prospective applicants with bid development and business planning assistance.
- Support the Marketing and Communications team in developing the charity’s web profile to support the introduction of a digital base for its grant application process.
- Assist in the ongoing development and management of financial and administrative systems for administering, controlling and monitoring funding.
- To assist in the development and maintenance of systems to allow the charity to assess the impact and effectiveness of grants.
- Develop strong relationships with contacts at RAF stations, visiting potential projects and applicants as needed.
- Work with external specialist resources as appropriate to complete initial pilot consultation projects with current and potential beneficiary groups.
- Responsible for the immediate line management of the Grants Assistant to ensure the effective assessment and processing of grant applications.
- Providing support to the Grants Assistant with the liaison and negotiation with applicants on all aspects of their applications.
- To take responsibility for the effective assessment and processing of grant applications, to include all associated activities which may occur both pre and post-awards.
- Execute due diligence when assessing application recommendations.
- Ensuring that recommendations to the Grants Committee and Trustees are in line with current grant making policies and the charity’s objectives.
- To act as secretary to the Grants Committee, including the maintenance of the minutes from all meetings.
- Promoting the work of the charity through presentations and external visits
- To monitor legislation and regulatory matters as they relate to the grants giving programme.
- To provide external auditors with such assistance and information they may reasonable require in the conduct of their annual audit.
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience of working effectively within small teams on varied projects and initiatives
- Experience of employee line-management.
- Planning and organisational skills
- Ability to summarise, prioritise and present information to varying audiences
- Excellent communication and relationship skills
- Full UK driving licence
- Knowledge of the Armed Forced environment
- Understanding of statistics and programme evaluation methods
- Experience of delivering and evaluations of capital projects
- Ability to gather information, report meaningful outputs and input strategic direction
- Experience of working in a grant making organisation within the charitable sector
Skills & Attributes
- Excellent IT software skills, particularly Word and Excel
- Ability to build rapport quickly and to understand the requirements of a diverse range of beneficiary groups
- Excellent report writing skills
- Financially astute
- Well organised, efficient and accurate with meticulous attention to detail
- Articulate with good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage a varied workload against deadlines and agreed timetables
- Ability to work independently across multiple physical sites with minimal time management
- Ability to improve controls within the organisation to ensure financial probity
- Experience of developing/assisting with the development of web and other social media platforms.
- Experience of CRM/Databases
- Experience of working with web-based platforms
- Experience of working with email marketing software
- Flexible and adaptable with good interpersonal skills
- Self-starter who is able to work on own initiative
- Able to maintain confidentiality and deal with sensitive information
- Dependable and reliable, able to keep calm and productive under pressure
If you have the relevant skills and experience required, please apply ASAP with your CV and a covering letter.
*PLEASE NOTE – by applying to this position, you agree for your CV to be submitted to our client, who shall contact you directly, should your application make their short-list.