At British Land we manage, develop and finance a portfolio of high quality properties. We are a FTSE100 company structured as a Real Estate Investment Trust. Places People Prefer is at the heart of what we do, we create outstanding places that make a positive difference to people's everyday lives. We are proud of the scale of our portfolio: Nearly 100,000 people live or work in our properties. They are visited around 350 million times each year and over 1,000 different organisations have chosen of our properties as their home. We have GBP19.1bn assets under management of which we own GBP13.9bn; our portfolio includes UK retail, Central London offices and prime residential. We have a small head office of around 250 people and outsource many aspects of our business; the size of our team encourages increased responsibility and entrepreneurialism.
Role Title Project Executive Location Marble Arch, London Division Development Reporting to Project Director
Development forms an important part of our business and we have a strong track record for delivering large scale projects. Since 2004, we have completed over 5 million sq. ft. of developments, mainly in Central London:
In the City: 5 Broadgate, The Leadenhall Building, Ropemaker Place, the Broadgate Tower; 201 Bishopsgate and the Willis Building.
In the West End: five buildings at Regent's Place (10 and 20 Triton Street, 10 and 30 Brock St, 1 Osnaburgh Street); 10 Portman Square; Marble Arch House and 39 Victoria Street, Yalding House, The Hemple, 7 Clarges St and 4 Kingdom Street.
We currently have 1.2 million sq. ft of committed developments. Projects currently on site include Clarges Mayfair, a major mixed-use residential and office scheme in Mayfair; 100 Liverpool Street, Broadgate a 520,000 sq. ft. office building; 135 Bishopsgate, Broadgate a 350,000 sq. ft office refurbishment and 1 Finsbury Avenue, Broadgate a 280,000 sq. ft office development; and the redevelopment of 1 Triton Sq. at Regent's Place.
We are also on site on standalone residential schemes - Aldgate Place which is on the eastern fringe of the City.
We have recently committed to the redevelopment of 100 Liverpool Street, which sits at the entrance to the new Crossrail station at Broadgate which commence earlier this year. This forms part of an on-going investment programme to revitalise and evolve Broadgate to a more vibrant, mixed-use estate appealing to a greater variety of occupiers.
Our near-term pipeline includes 5 Kingdom Street at Paddington Central; Blossom Street, Shoreditch.
We have a number of potential projects, which are primarily in up and coming areas of London including our 46 acre site at Canada Water where we are planning a 6m sq. ft. mixed use development. This will be phased development with an extensive first stage of place making, residential and commercial space.
The Project Executive will be responsible for delivering a number of asset management lead initiatives and major projects across our London campuses. The role possesses a high level of autonomy normally managing 2-3 schemes at one time with a Development Executive/Director. This role presents an opportunity to take responsibility for flagship developments across the British Land portfolio. It is likely the selected candidate will be involved in high profile mixed use developments which will include both refurbishment and new build, utilising construction management and design and build contracts.
- Run the design and construction process, leading and motivating external teams.
- Articulate British Land's vision for the scheme both internally and externally.
- Build and manage relationships with necessary external stakeholders.
- Drive and take responsibility alongside the Development Executives and Asset Management for overall project viability and project handover.
- Set project priorities; ensure execution by external project team and report on performance targets to key internal and joint venture stakeholders.
- Take responsibility for managing total project costs against agreed budgets.
- Drive the close out and handover of completed projects to our customers
- Proven experience as a manager of diverse project teams in a leadership position
- Managed developments with a construction value in excess of GBP30 million
- Sound knowledge of all facets of the design and construction process.
- Experience of delivering mixed use Central London projects including office, residential and retail
- Familiarity with Design & Build forms of contract and specifically the Major Project Construction Contract
- Familiarity with Construction Management forms of contract and process.
- Knowledge of wider development activities helpful
- UK development experience
- Highly commercial individual
- Strategic thinker
- Strong communication and relationship building skills (internal / external)
- Flexibility - must be able to manage a portfolio of responsibilities
- Strong prioritisation skills
- Strong personal presence, impact and influencing skills
- Strong academic background
British Land employees are committed to promoting an inclusive, positive and collaborative culture. We will treat everyone equally irrespective of age, sex, sexual orientation, race, colour, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, religious or other philosophical belief, disability, gender identity, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, or pregnancy or maternity. Our values underpin everything we do.
Please note that we endeavour to get back to all applicants within 28 days. If you haven't heard from us within this period, please assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.