Corporate Communications - Group Manager
We have an exciting opportunity for a Corporate Communications - Group Manager to join the team based in Wilmslow, Cheshire. You will join us on a full time, permanent basis and will receive a salary of £39,728 per annum plus pension and excellent benefits.
It is a pivotal moment for data protection and privacy and so our work as the UK's information rights regulator could not be any more relevant. The laws we regulate are converging globally, consumer trust and protection is ever more central to both business and the public sector, and a rapidly expanding digital economy is asking more questions of the balance consumers place between the benefits of new products and services, and the loss of privacy and control of data.
The ICO's top focus for the coming years is clear: To increase the public's trust and confidence in how personal information is used and improve standards of information rights practices at organisations.
The communications team at the ICO will play a central role in achieving that, and we are looking for a senior-level communications professional to join the team.
The Corporate Communications - Group Manager Role
Working closely with the Head of Communications, you will lead the development communications strategies and other communications plans which will help to achieve the goals set out in the ICO’s Information Rights Strategic Plan (2017).
You will advise the Commissioner, the Senior Leadership Team, Department Heads and staff on all matters related to integrated corporate communications: media relations, internal, digital and marketing.
You will also will help develop an effective communications infrastructure and resilience that foster a positive culture of effective and timely interventions.
- Ensure that reputational risks appearing in the media and online are spotted early and that action is taken swiftly to minimise impact.
- Provide well-judged, strategic and tactical, corporate communications advice and risk analysis.
- Ensure that the ICO has good working relationships with key correspondents and stakeholders’ press offices.
- Ensure that maximum communications benefit is derived from ICO staff speaking and appearing at external conferences and events.
- Manage media relations, digital communications and marketing effectively to support ICO announcements, campaigns, policy developments, enforcement action and events - and ensure they receive appropriate treatment and coverage.
- Ensure news, feature and trade press opportunities are exploited to maximise positive coverage online, in magazines and in news supplements
- Provide internal communications, media interview coaching and advice to senior ICO staff.
Our ideal Corporate Communications - Group Manager:
- Degree or equivalent Or Work experience demonstrating graduate level ability
- A postgraduate or professional qualification in relevant subject is desirable
- At least five years post-qualification experience in corporate communications.
- At least two years’ management experience in a communications environment (staff, contractors and budget)
- Strong judgement and news sense on high profile issues under pressure.
- Knowledge and experience managing a full in-house national press office, including pro- and reactive media relations, distribution methods, monitoring and dissemination methods, briefings at all levels, evaluation techniques.
- Knowledge and experience of implementing digital and social communications channels to achieve an organisation’s objectives
Why work for ICO? As a Corporate Communications - Group Manager you will receive:
- Flexible working hours, including flexi leave
- Civil Service Pension Arrangements
- 25 days’ paid holiday a year with options to buy, sell, and bank days
- Extra “privilege” days in addition to normal public holidays
- Compressed working-hours options
- Excellent learning and development opportunities
- Health cash plan
- Access to many discounted products and services
- Childcare voucher scheme.
- Staff medical scheme and eyesight testing
Closing date: Midnight, Tuesday 20 March 2018.
If you feel you have the skills and experience to become our Corporate Communications - Group Manager then please click ‘Apply’ today!
The ICO is committed to equal opportunities in employment and welcomes applications from people in all sections of the community.