Force Control Room Operator
The Force Control Room aims to provide the highest quality of service to customers by controlling and co-ordinating police resources across the county of Surrey. This includes managing a wide range of incidents and where appropriate providing an emergency response.
In this fast-paced exciting and rewarding role, you and your fellow team members will have responsibility for operating, monitoring and managing the Force's radio systems. You will assist with the direction of resources and provide Police Officers with relevant and timely information. This will include coordinating the attendance of police, specialist resources and other emergency services at incident scenes. This role required you to juggle and prioritise competing demands.
On completion of training you will manage both emergency and non-emergency situations. You will be required to make decisions whilst considering factors affecting Public and Officer safety, assessing and reviewing the available options and deciding the most appropriate action to be taken.
Skills & Experience
Criteria for interview selection
- Previous Emergency Service work experience is desirable for this role and applicants who are able to evidence this as part of their application will be given priority
It is also essential that applicants can evidence that they possess the following skills:
- Either English GCSE Grade C or above, English 'O' Level, or equivalent, eg OCR Level 2 in Literacy.
- Excellent verbal communication skills enabling you to communicate with both internal and external customers and deal assertively and courteously whilst managing expectations.
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to produce clear, concise and accurate documents.
- The ability to work both effectively as part of a team and to work unsupervised, using your own initiative to solve problems, taking reasoned and responsible decisions that consider all the relevant factors and information, based on Force policy and best practice.
- The ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure, to highlight risks, priorities issues, to take control and respond promptly to changing situations, to prioritise and risk assess in a fast-time environment.
- Proficient and accurate typing skills at a minimum of 30 wpm.
- A high degree of tact and diplomacy to ensure excellent customer service.
- A good working knowledge of MS Office windows based computer applications.
- The ability to endure a 10 week rotating shift pattern. The Force Control Room operates a 24 hour, 7 day a week service to all of its customers on 5 teams. (Earlies 0, Lates 1 and Nights, 2).
We are committed to creating a diverse police service, which reflects the community we serve. We value diversity and inclusion and want to attract the best people for the roles available, regardless of age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, disability, social status or religious beliefs.
Once short listing is completed, successful applicants will be invited for an assessment initially which is most likely to take during an evening or at a weekend.
Please note that this role carries a two year tenure upon commencing employment, in which you will not be legible to apply for any other role within Surrey Police as an internal move.
We are currently recruiting for courses due to start in May 2018 onwards
The next assessments will be held in the Spring & those that are successful will be held in a pool awaiting a vacancy.
Surrey Police Vacancies are advertised in parallel with Force redeployment processes, this may lead to a vacancy being withdrawn after advertising.