As agreed and directed by the Senior Manager/Head of TSI, the Technical Analyst will:
- Support the TSI team with all aspects of data and statistical analyses, modelling, and in particular, the provision of awarding data, as required;
- Undertake the analyses of examination data including statistical analyses of outcomes and performances
- Translate and present data in a meaningful way for use in both awarding qualifications and in post-results monitoring reports.
- Assist with the production and disseminating of data to external stakeholders.
- Work closely with colleagues from within Pearson as necessary, to ensure effective communication, co-operation and implementation of Pearson policy and planning;
- Ensure that all analyses are completed to schedule and to a high quality, taking responsibility for aspects of the management of projects, as agreed.
- Manage the production of awarding statistics for Pearson's GCSE, AS/A level, BTEC and International and any other qualifications and associated post-examination evaluation analyses, contribute to the discussion on the assessment methodologies and examination structures to ensure that information needs are met.
- Policy and Planning: to support the Senior Manager/Head of TSI in discussions within Pearson, and where necessary, with other Awarding Bodies and external agencies relating to data analysis issues, implementing inter-board agreements and changes in procedures in line with Pearson policy.
- Procedures Management: to assist in the monitoring of the examining and awarding process to ensure all agreed procedures are adhered to.
- Quality Management: to assist in the monitoring and evaluation of assessment and other procedures so that potential areas of difficulty are foreseen and the requirements of the Regulator are met.
- To take part in evaluation studies for new examinations, as agreed.
- Contributing to the broader work of the TSI team: supervising and mentoring TSI team members on specific projects as directed by the Senior Manager/Head of TSI to enable team members to: respond to the wide range of demands placed on the team.
- Develop a high level of skill, experience and expertise to enable them to respond to the wide range of demands placed upon them
- Quality and delivery: Ensure that all analyses are completed to schedule and to quality, taking responsibility for accuracy and timely transmission of data analyses;
- Awarding Process: provide statistical information to support the awarding process and to identify trends and comparability issues at the time of awarding.
- Data / Information Collection: manage the collection of necessary data and analysis of these data and produce suitable reports and recommendations, as agreed;
- Assessment monitoring: provide technical support including the preparation and evaluation of statistical data to ensure the effective running of the examination process and the maintenance of subject, year-on-year and inter-board comparability;
- Customer focus: Establish and maintain good working relationships with other teams within Pearson, providing advice, formulating problems and providing solutions with technical robustness as appropriate.
- Provision of advice and guidance regarding statistics for awarding personnel,
- Advice on the provision of item level statistics and other statistical analyses to support the awarding process when required,
- Meeting short deadlines whist ensuring accuracy and completeness.
Education, Qualifications and background
- Numerate degree including standard statistical techniques.
- Statistical analysis, report writing
- Higher degree involving statistics or mathematics
- Knowledge of the UK education system
- IT Literacy
- Competent user of word processor (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), databases (eg ACCESS) user of SPSS
- Experience of IRT/Rasch software (eg WINSTEPS, Conquest, RUMM