Electoral Services Assistant - FTC to 30/11/2018
Exciting opportunity for an Electoral Assistant to work up until 30/11/2018 at Haringey Council.
Your new company
Haringey is a place of great opportunity, with enormous potential for growth - a growing economy, more and better housing and flourishing communities. Haringey is part of one of the world's greatest cities and they benefit hugely from that. This really is a great chance to embark on a career and gain invaluable experience within a forward thinking council that is rapidly becoming one of the most exciting London boroughs to work in.
Your new role
You will assist in the administration of Elections, help to prepare, compile and produce the electoral register, and the different franchise rights that it contains, and support internal procedures consistent with Haringey's standards.You'll have excellent administrative and computer skills, plus a high level of accuracy, and will need to organise your own workload and work well under pressure to ensure you meet statutory deadlines.This post will require some evening and weekend work - particularly leading up to an election - so a flexible working approach is essential.
- Assistance with administrative duties in the compilation of the Electoral Register, including use of IT equipment.
- Assist in providing a reception service for public enquiries and with telephone/email enquiries.
- Assist with the correspondence to notify electors of amendments to the Electoral Register.
- Assist the updating of the Borough Street Index.
- Assist with appropriate duties in connection with the administration of elections
- Carry out filing, both electronic and paper and records storage
- To open post and scan relevant documents
- To uphold and further the Council's equal opportunities policies and to deliver effective and appropriate services fairly and without discrimination
- To ensure that all responsibilities are carried out under relevant health and safety legislation, and Council and Departmental policy.
- To undertake other temporary duties consistent with the basic duties and/or objectives of the post.
- Understanding, knowledge and ability to follow guidelines that ensure compliance to Health and Safety at Work, Data Protection and other statutory requirements.
- Health and Safety aspects/issues, first aid/manual handling etc in relation to working environment, ie Hazardous materials and relevant processes/legislations etc
- Knowledge and experience of using IT/working knowledge adequate or sound knowledge required etc
- Understanding and commitment to promoting and implementing the Council's Equal Opportunities policies.
- To undertake any other temporary duties consistent with the basic duties and/or objectives of the post.
What you'll need to succeed
- Good general level of education including 5 GCSE's ( A- C) including English and Maths or equivalent
- NVQ Level 2 or equivalent in a relevant area ( eg Business, Administration, Local Policy)
- A working knowledge of statutory requirements related to electoral registration
- Understanding the principles and methods underpinning electoral registration and election administration
- Ability to plan, analyse and interpret data in pursuit of specific projects
- Ability to work to strict deadlines under pressure
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to support the recruitment, training and work planning of the canvass workforce
- Extensive knowledge of specialist as well as corporate IT packages
- Ability and willingness to deal with enquiries and statutory information provision to the public and stakeholders including Agents, Candidates, Councillors, MPs, MEPs and MLAs.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to give clear and accurate advice.
- Ability to work to strict statutory deadlines under pressure
- A willingness to work unsocial hours, sometimes at short notice, in relation to elections and other activities within the function.
What you'll get in return
Flexible working, defined benefit pension scheme, flexible retiring options, generous annual leave (which can be carried over from other LA's in some cases), long service award (which can be carried over from other LA's in some cases), learning & development, interest free season ticket loan, Reduced entry to Haringey leisure centres and gyms and childcare vouchers.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.