Senior Software Developer, Commercial Dev
The Guardian is one of the world's biggest liberal news organisations. We are renowned for our groundbreaking independent journalism and our award-winning digital products.
The Commercial Dev team is responsible for creating technical solutions to support key parts of the Guardian's business; digital advertising and branded content. The team ensures that our digital products deliver the revenue we need to support our journalism. Commercial Dev is crucial in balancing business opportunities with the reader experience, keeping the reader experience best-in-class and the commercial tech stack modern and lean.
What you'll be doing
- You'll be coding on the frontend and backend of our web platform in order to make an impact towards your team's objectives. This will involve maintaining and developing the commercial systems on the Guardian's dotcom codebase, ensuring they work for over 10 million users everyday.
- You'll be working in a cross-functional team, which is empowered to rapidly iterate and release new features.
- You won't be coding in isolation - our culture is strongly collaborative, whether pair programming with other developers or working closely with editorial and commercial colleagues.
Much of our code is openly available on GitHub, and some of our projects are widely used throughout the Open Source community. Many of our developers regularly attend and present at conferences. Please visit our Guardian Developers site and the Guardian Developer blog for more information about working in the Digital Development team.
We believe diversity of people, backgrounds, experience and ideas helps us to build better products and achieve more. We welcome applicants who have taken traditional and non-traditional career paths into software development.
What we offer
Developer salaries start from GBP63k depending on experience.
This role will remain open until we find the right person. You may also be interested in our server-side and full-stack developer roles. If it doesn't sound quite right for you, we have other openings that might be a better fit.
Here at the Guardian we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. As a global news organisation we need to reflect the world around us and we can't do this without a diverse workforce. We know that having a range of backgrounds, lived experience and perspectives leads to a more enriching and satisfying workplace. We also want our employees to look forward to coming to work and fostering a culture of inclusion is one of the ways we do this.
To apply for this position you must already have the right to work in the UK.
Please upload your CV and covering letter as one document. You should also highlight the extent to which your skills/experience meets the requirements of the role and your motivation behind applying.
Find out more about our hiring process here .
- You're pragmatic. You enjoy being involved in the product decisions that will deliver the team's commercial goals, and thinking carefully about trade-offs.
- You love using data to measure the impact of your own work.
- Your interests go beyond just your team's objectives; you are curious about where the organisation is moving as a whole.
- You have a strong interest in growing your skills.
- Flexible working
- Generous pension scheme
- Health insurance and dental scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Up to 18 weeks of parental leave at full pay
- Childcare assistance vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Paid volunteering days
- Subsidised gym membership
- Annual season ticket loan