Efficacy Strategic Communications Manager
Who are we?
Pearson is the world's leading learning company, with expertise in educational courseware, assessment, and a range of teaching and learning services powered by technology. Our mission is to help people make progress through access to better learning. We believe that learning opens up opportunities, creating fulfilling careers and better lives.
The Strategy & Programme Management team is one of five teams within the Efficacy & Research division of Pearson's global product development organisation. Our team is based in London while the wider Efficacy & Research team is split across London and North America. Our team has incredibly diverse backgrounds, but we all share a common interest in ensuring education improves lives across the world.
What do we do?
Efficacy is Pearson's global approach to systematically improve our products so that they lead to better learner outcomes. In 2013, Pearson launched the program to put deliberate effort against this vision and committed that we would transparently report on our products' impact and open the reports to a third-party audit.
Fundamentally, efficacy is about defining what outcomes we need to achieve for our learners and building the capabilities to measure and improve those outcomes. From education research to learning science, and from analytics to impact evaluation, Pearson teams are committed to defining, measuring, and continuously improving outcomes.
In a few short years, this program has altered product development, broken down internal silos, and deepened our customer relationships. We are seeing concrete examples of how our approach improves products, improves outcomes, and helps Pearson grow to be a more successful company.
How do we work?
Within Pearson's Global Efficacy & Research team, we are the Strategy & Programme Management team and we play a central strategy and delivery role. Primary responsibilities for our team include:
- developing the global Efficacy strategy on how we improve outcomes for more learners;
- supporting implementation of the strategy in partnership with Efficacy colleagues globally;
- monitoring progress on behalf of Pearson's Executive and Board of Directors;
- ensuring that we provide efficient and well managed efficacy related services to product development teams across the company; and
- collaborating closely with our colleagues in Global Corporate Affairs & Marketing to ensure that efficacy findings are communicated and disseminated.
We look for talented, dynamic, and self-motivated individuals who want to to pick up new skills, have meaningful impact, and graduate to other roles within education.
What are the responsibilities of the role?
The individual will also help us improve the way we communicate about efficacy with our internal stakeholders across Pearson, with our customers and learners, and with our external stakeholders. The individual will have the opportunity to work across the portfolio with some of the largest online learning products in the world and with our growing institutional operations.
The primary responsibilities of the role will be to:
- Help translate efficacy findings into communications collateral that showcase the impact a product has on learners
- Surface stories that highlight the impact of our products aligned with the internal and external content strategy for Pearson
- Bring a communications, content strategy and/or marketing lens to efficacy activities, such as external reporting and internal engagement
- Serve as a translator of technical information, effectively bridging the gap between highly technical research and non-technical audiences and channels
- Collaborate with colleagues in Global Corporate Affairs & Marketing to embed efficacy in external and internal communications, and product marketing
- Support and contribute to the continual evolution of the team's strategy and agenda
- Present regularly to senior executives including the CEO, the President of our global product development organisation, the Chief Corporate Affairs & Marketing Officer, and the SVP for Efficacy and Research
What will it take to do the job well?
Given our team's role at Pearson, we need individuals who have experience with marketing and/or communications, can work cross functionally in collaboration with other teams, understand change management, and have a strong desire to make a difference.
- Experience in developing and implementing a business communication strategy with evidence of impact
- Experience across digital and social media channels and how to use them for effective communication
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Attention to detail and evidence of timely delivery of quality work product
- Strategic thinker, evidence of accurate and reliable analysis, interpretation and application of qualitative and quantitative evidence in an education related field
- Strong & proven problem solving skills and structured thinking in new circumstances
- Being confident to lead own work without day-to-day management supervision
Bonus Points for:
- Experience working in communications and/or marketing roles
- Experience in a classroom or in other education sector roles
- Experience with change management or global transformations
- Creativity, passion, and intellect that inspires others