Lay Members of Council
The University of Kent is looking for proactive, organised and committed Lay Members of Council to help ensure the effective governance and sustainability of the University, one of the UK's leading universities.
About the role
Consisting of 25 members, the Council's remit includes overall responsibility for the University's mission and strategic vision, ensuring that it is effectively managed with appropriate planning for future developments, overseeing financial sustainability and compliance, plus ensuring that the interests of key stakeholders are met. Reviewing the University's performance against its plan is also a key requirement for the Council and its members.
As an active member of the University's governing body, you will be expected to attend and contribute to meetings - approximately eight per year, while also utilising your expertise and experience to ensure overall sound management and that an overall corporate plan, strategy and policy framework for effective management action exists.
You will also help to ensure that the financial well-being and compliance aspects of the University, including HEFCE, legislation, stewardship and accountability, are consistently achieved.
This role entails an estimated commitment of 15 days per year, with your overall commitment also involving council committees, Court, induction or other training events, plus optional attendance at degree ceremonies, open lectures, or other events.
To succeed in this role, you must:
- Be a senior professional with a significant track record of achievement
- Possess a sound understanding of corporate governance
- Apply your experience to benefit the University in key areas such as Finance/Audit, Estates, Legal, Human Resources, European and international affairs and Health and Safety
- Be an outstanding communicator, both verbal and written
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to Higher Education
For an informal conversation, please contact Dr Keith Lampard, Secretary of the Council and Court, Council Secretariat on .
For further information and to apply please visit our website.