Laboratory Assistant, Dumfries
£16,835 – £17,773 per annum
SRUC is unique in Scotland and one of the largest organisations of its kind in Europe. Our ambitious and exciting vision is to work at local, national and international levels, leading innovation and sustainable development in agriculture and rural sectors.
Applications are invited for a Laboratory Assistant based at SAC Consulting Veterinary Services’ Disease Surveillance Centre in Dumfries.
The successful applicant will join a team of 6 scientists that service an increasing and diverse scientific workload. The successful candidate will provide support to veterinary and laboratory staff and maintain the standard of cleanliness and disinfection throughout the laboratory. In addition, the role will involve processing samples for testing, parasitological examinations and other general laboratory duties.
Duties will include;
- Providing assistance to veterinary staff as required at post mortem examinations
- Routine maintenance and cleaning of the post mortem area
- Disposal of laboratory and post mortem waste
- Processing and labelling of samples for dispatch to other laboratories
- Routine parasitology examinations on faecal samples
- Basic microbiological techniques including preparation of smears and bacterial cultures
- Routine maintenance, cleaning and disinfection of laboratory equipment.
- Temperature recording and log keeping.
- Providing assistance to scientific staff as required
Applicants should be computer literate and ideally have some laboratory experience, but training will be given. A current full clean driving licence is desirable.
Please note this is a fixed term post until August 2018.
Interviews for this post are scheduled to take place on Tuesday 6th February 2018 at Dumfries Disease Surveillance Centre.
Closing date: 26th January 2018
Please note that CVs will not be accepted without a completed application form.
SRUC Leading the way in Agricultural and Rural Research, Education & Consultancy.
SRUC is committed to valuing Diversity, advancing Equality and respecting Human Rights throughout the organisation and encouraging applications from disabled people using the “Disability Confident Employer” symbol. SRUC is a member of the Athena SWAN charter.
SRUC. A Charitable company limited by guarantee, SC003712. Registered in Scotland No SC103046