Healthcare Assistant - Newcastle
Location: Newcastle (42 hours pw - 7 shifts per fortnight)
Hours: £10 per hour
Closing date: 08 Feb 2018
We are looking for a healthcare assistant to join our vibrant and exciting imaging team in Newcastle. The successful candidate will be involved with participant venepuncture, measuring and processing of samples collected from participants in the laboratory. In addition to the above this typically involves -
* Study interview
* Physical measures
* Directing participants through their visit
* Verifying participants identity
* Maintaining general cleanliness/tidiness of the imaging centre
* Fractionising blood taken in the clinic for storage
* Sample centrifugation
* Maintenance of basic laboratory equipment
* Maintaining sample tracking and working closely with the laboratory team at the co-ordinating centre in Cheadle to maintain quality and escalate issues.
You will be able to demonstrate experience in one of the related areas of phlebotomy or laboratory work. Experience gained in both areas would be a distinct advantage. Those with phlebotomy experience will need to be qualified, and preferably have experience of working in a clinical or medical environment. Those with laboratory experience will have a background in Biological Sciences (qualifications preferred) and experience of using a pipette.
The roles would suit individuals who are self-motivated and are confident with strong interpersonal skills to communicate with a wide range of people.
The Organisation is a major national health resource set up with the aim of improving the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of serious and life-threatening illnesses. Between 2006 and 2010, the organization recruited over 500,000 volunteers from across the country to take part; all donated biological samples for future analysis, provided detailed information about themselves, and agreed to have their health followed. Enhancement projects are now underway to add further value to this valuable research resource.
The organization was established with the backing of a number of major funding bodies and is a registered charity. Whilst we are physically headquartered in Cheadle, direction and strategy take input from senior academics and other experts from across the UK and around the world.
* Experience of working in a clinical/medical or laboratory environment
* Experience of venepuncture or working in a laboratory
* Must be an excellent communicator, both spoken and written
* Experience of working with the public
* Must be polite and approachable
* Excellent interpersonal skills and be able to clearly explain procedures and instructions to participants
* Ability to undertake repetitive tasks to a high quality
* Must be able to demonstrate excellent manual dexterity
* The ability to escalate issues to the relevant person effectively including working with staff at the co-ordinating centre
* Must exhibit attention to detail, with a specific focus on quality
* Disciplined in relation to following protocols and procedures
* Must be proficient in IT (Microsoft Office)
* Must be able to maintain confidentiality when working with information and associated patient information
* Should have venepuncture skills including a clear understanding of venepuncture safety and infection control.
* Knowledge of IR(ME)R is beneficial & must be safety aware
* Familiarity with ISO standards (ISO 9001, ISO 15189, ISO27001).
* Biological qualifications (A-level or relevant degree)
* Experience of basic laboratory equipment maintenance
* Experience of laboratory sample tracking
* Experience of shipping biological samples
* Full clean UK driving licence
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including generous holiday entitlement, pension, life assurance cover as well as a number of salary sacrifice schemes and a staff discount scheme.
To apply please forward your CV by clicking 'Apply'.
Monday 29th January 2018