Head of Library and Learning Resources (Catholic H.E. College)
Maryvale Institute is an international Catholic distance-learning college which provides opportunities for adult formation through further and higher education courses across all levels. Once the home of Blessed John Henry Newman, Maryvale is on the site of the ancient settlement of Oscott, about five miles from Birmingham City Centre. With its charming buildings, in which Christian values and prayer are almost tangible, its long and interesting history and its peaceful grounds, Maryvale is spiritual ‘home’ to many, besides being an academic centre of international repute. Maryvale’s Higher Institute of Religious Sciences, set up by the Holy See, is the only such provider of ecclesiastical degrees in the English-speaking world.
Reporting to the Director of the Institute, the Head of Library and Learning Resources takes lead responsibility for the management of the Institute’s library and electronic learning resources. The principal duties are as follows:
- To take responsibility for the purchase, accession and maintenance of the library’s stock of books, periodicals and e-resources in consultation with the Institute’s Management and Programme Directors and in accordance with budgets;
- To undertake the original cataloguing and classifying of the library’s stock;
- To deal with students and staff both on site and through mail/email/telephone contact to support them in their bibliographical needs for research and citation processes;
- To ensure an active turnover of stock, including the need to dispose of redundant items as necessary;
- To oversee the maintenance of the fabric, furniture and stock of the Library;
- To ensure that the photocopying and computer equipment in the library are maintained in an operational state;
- To plan, prepare and be involved with new learning resources and facilities, including responsibility for ensuring that the audio-visual equipment in the Lecture Rooms is operational and available as required, and to collaborate with IT staff to record, distribute and upload recordings onto the Maryvale network and website;
- To be the principal point of contact for partner libraries and the Association of British Theological and Philosophical Libraries (ABTAPL);
- To as act as Maryvale’s designated co-ordinator to the Copyright Licensing Agency Ltd. for both printed and electronic reproduction;
- To chair the Library Committee, to report to the Academic Board and other committees of the Institute, including attendance at such committees;
- To liaise with other Support Heads and the Programme Directors; to report to the Director on request or when the occasion demands;
- To supervise personnel and/or student help allocated to work in the Library.