Local Democracy Reporter
Local Democracy Reporter - Surrey
Salaries starting from £22,000 per annum
As part of a UK-wide ground-breaking initiative between the BBC and regional publishers, we are seeking to recruit a Local Democracy Reporter based in Guildford, initially for a two year period.
About the Scheme:
This unique scheme is designed to increase coverage and scrutiny of local authorities across the UK. Funded by the BBC and run by media publishers, the reporters will offer in-depth coverage of our local authorities. The key aim will be to ensure deep scrutiny of the way our local government institutions operate, decisions they make and how they spend public money. Successful applicants will play a vital part in launching the scheme and ensuring it is a success, with the aim of expanding it in future years.
Acting as a trusted source of news and ambassador for the scheme, the successful applicant will be adept at identifying issues and stories buried in council agendas which need to be brought to the public's attention. Reporting to the local Editor, this role offers the chance to get involved at the start of a high-profile initiative and help shape the future of the scheme.
A thriving newsroom covering Surrey, London and Hampshire producing news and features for our great print and digital products including getsurrey and getwestlondon.
The successful candidate can look forward to a competitive salary, 25 days holiday entitlement, contributory pension scheme plus many other benefits available to you as a Trinity Mirror employee. Trinity Mirror plc is committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process.
- Delivering strong content on a daily basis, primarily focusing on text but also providing images, audio and video as and when required
- Creating engaging content which drives audience through SEO and social media awareness
- Ensuring all content is politically-neutral and balanced, providing a fair reflection of views
- Ensuring agendas for councils and public bodies are scrutinised, identifying issues and stories which need to be brought to the public's attention
- Delivering live content, providing two-way interviews for broadcast media
- Providing monthly report on key issues and themes from public authorities for stakeholder media organisations
- Ensuring that all matters, decisions and issues relating to the public authorities covered in the Local Democracy Reporter Scheme Editorial Brief are covered in a timely, impartial and audience-friendly way
To be considered for this role, you will be qualified to NCE-standard or equivalent with two years experience working to daily deadlines alongside shorthand proficiency of 100wpm. This essential criteria will go hand in hand with your ability to provide outstanding content in text, audio and video format. You will be able to demonstrate a deep understanding of the workings of local government and a track record of delivering great ideas for content and building contacts. A solid working knowledge of social media and the way it can be used to drive audience and engagement is essential for this role. You will be an excellent communicator, enjoy working under pressure and thrive on the unique challenge this role offers.
You will be providing copy for all publishers signed up to the scheme.