Operations / Commercial Manager
Our client is an international co-educational day and boarding school who are seeking to appoint an Operations Manager to join its Support Services Team. This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and forward-thinking individual to lead the support functions in a modern and integrated manner and to generate commercial income for the school.
The Operations Manager will be responding to the Chief Operating Officer for the day to day management of the School’s operations, including catering, transport, facilities, security, sports centre, commercial and events.
Main Duties and Responsiblilties Of Operations Manager
- Line Manager for the following departments:
Facilities, transport and security
- Act as School Security officer.
- Oversee the effective management of all facilities staff.
- Oversee the effective management of the school transport fleet and transport management policy.
Commercial, events and Sports Centre
- Use appropriate staff to deliver the commercial lettings and events programme.
- Overall management of the sports centre, swimming pool and Learn to Swim programme.
- Overall management of the School Uniform shop.
- Overseeing Guardians enterprises.
- To act as School’s Licencing Officer.
- Compliance in all Operations, Commercial and Health and Safety areas
- Health and Safety: responsible for operating safe systems in all areas of responsibility.
- Member of School Health and Safety Committee.
- Ensuring regulatory compliance in all areas of responsibility.
- Financial responsibilities
- Produce and submit financial plans for all areas of responsibility.
- Manage in-year budget allocations and report on any variances.
- Oversee financial control systems within all areas of budgetary responsibility.
- Management Responsibilities for Operations and Commercial Departments
- Manage all relevant full and part time support staff
- Recruit staff in consultation with the HR Director and COO.
- Strive to continually improve working practices and ensure employees are motivated and trained.
- Oversee the plannng, management and running major School events.
- Participate in relevant professional development activities.
- Undertake other such duties as the COO requires from time to time.
- Monitor legislation changes, best practice etc through professional publications and implement at Taunton School where appropriate.
Essential Skills to the role of Operations Manager
- Leadership and Organisation - exceptional leadership and management skills with the ability to build teams, connect with staff at all levels on an individual and group level. Strong commitment to developing people, with the ability to nurture and enforce accountability, develop and empower managers, and create a high performing team with the flexibility to meet current and future needs;
- Results oriented - with a proven track record in delivering on targets and with a strong bottom-line orientation; ability to establish priorities to meet budget realities;
- High-level business acumen - able to be business oriented within a charitable environment with a strong educational purpose;
- Strategic vision and agility - ability to think strategically, look at future trends and provide Change management - track record which demonstrates the ability to lead and develop a culture of continuous change to meet the demands of a highly competitive business which needs to review its performance continuously to meet the challenges of the independent school’s marketplace;
Salary Range: Depending on skills and experience
Pension: Membership of the school’s occupational pension scheme
Holiday: 5 weeks annual holiday plus public holidays
Other Benefits: Occupational sick pay scheme
Reduced price membership of the school sports club
Free lunch when the School kitchen is open
If you wish to be considered for the role of Operations Manager, please click ‘APPLY’ below.