The management and operation of premises related functions at the school (including site maintenance,
waste disposal, caretaking, grounds services, security, vehicle maintenance and cleaning) to ensure that
that school facilities and premises are maintained in a safe, clean and secure condition. To take a lead role
- Making the school a clean, health and safe environment for all.
- Maintaining and developing the school’s premises and grounds.
- Maintaining appropriate documentation and record keeping all aspects of the site operation including meeting statutory obligations.
- Developing and implementing a rolling programme for repairs and maintenance within agreed budgets, ensuring value for money.
- Driving services forward to ensure that consistent quality is continuously achieved.
- Responsible for negotiating service contracts that offer value for money.
- Ensuring that all services meet with legislative and best practice guidelines.
- Developing best practice in all aspects of health and safety across the school both on and off the Premises for staff and contractors.
- Managing efficiently and effectively the school site, accommodation, buildings, grounds and vehicles.
- Ensuring the safety of staff, students and visitors to the school by the effective use of staffing, equipment policies and processes.
- Ensuring that the security of the premises and equipment is maintained at all times (24 hours a day, all year) by having all doors locked, all windows closed and all intruder alarms set etc.; including attending site as necessary to deal with security emergencies.
- Producing and maintaining a priced refurbishment plan that is updated annually.
- Establishing and maintaining a proactive health and safety provision across the whole school including designation as the ‘responsible person’.
- Line managing three caretakers (currently on split shifts), including issuing instructions for maintenance and all other caretaking tasks and monitoring the quality and quantity of their workload.
- Line managing the cleaning supervisor and cleaning team, including issuing instructions for cleaning and monitoring the quality and quantity of the site cleanliness. Take an active role in staff recruitment and performance management in the cleaning team.
- Controlling the selection, supervision, quality of work and ensuring a safe system of work for all staff and external contractors working at the school site including the operation of the contractor induction and permit to work schemes.
- Responsible for promoting and administering the provision of lettings and other events on site including appropriate staff provision and licences whilst maximising revenue generation.
- Ensuring that minibuses operate an efficient service and are maintained in compliance with legal requirements including appropriate driver certification.
- In partnership with the Business Manager, negotiate and ensure provision of all utility, cleaning, grounds,servicing and maintenance contracts for the site.
- Undertake some maintenance duties as and when required.
- Managing financial budgets and purchasing resources in line with value for money practices by ensuring that approved works are completed in accordance with procedures, specification and timescales.
- Managing the administration and outcomes of our maintenance and health and safety tracking system (Every).
- Manage the process and administration for health and safety associated with trips and visits, approving risk assessments and acting as the EVC (Educational Visit Coordinator).
- Develop and implement policies, systems and procedures for the management of health and safety risks in school such as fire, COSHH, asbestos, legionella, trips and visits etc. ensuring statutory compliance and maintaining statutory documentation, logs and records.
- Managing the security of sites and buildings, including attendance at alarm activations either during or outside normal working hours.
- Managing the external environment of the school to ensure a professional focus is maintained at all times.
- Producing statement of work and requirements for premises alterations for contractors to quote against.
- Managing and developing the premises and cleaning teams within the guidelines of the school’s staff policy and procedures. Ensuring that appraisals are undertaken and staff development plans are implemented.
- Ensuring that the service provided to the school by the site and cleaning teams are consistent, comparable and of high quality across the site.
- Planning and controlling a rolling programme of maintenance, redecoration, periodic and deep cleaning, renewal and alteration to premises within agreed budgets and timescales and priorities agreed with the Business Manager.
- Ensuring best practice is shared between staff.
- Ensuring that products and services procured to ‘best value’ principles and are of specified quality, are safe and compliant and are from sustainable and reputable sources.
- Monitoring the effectiveness of the site maintenance and making adjustments as necessary.
- Proactively measuring the satisfaction of facility users.
- To develop, implement and monitor departmental policies, procedures and processes.
- To develop and then participate in 24 hour call out plan.
- To develop and then manage a business continuity plan in line with the organisational disaster recovery and continuity plan.
- To ensure all aspects of legal and best practice guidelines and compliance are understood, met and objectively measured and audited e.g. health and safety, food hygiene, CDM regulations etc.
- To forge a good working relationship with the local environmental health team, fire officer, local police; be the official point of contact for any visit from an EHO or the HSE as well as other key responsible persons.
- Comply with and assist the development of policies and procedures relating to safeguarding, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
- Be aware of and support difference and ensure equal opportunities for all.
- Contribute to the overall ethos, work and aims of the school.
- Share expertise and skills with others; participate in training and other learning activities and appraisal as required and recognise own strengths and areas of expertise to use these to advise and support others.
- Set a good example to students and other staff in their presentation and personal conduct.
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the level of responsibility of the post as required.
- Fully participate in the schools appraisal system.