Strategic Communications Manager
We are looking for a talented communication professional to join the DVLA Strategic Communications Team. You will be responsible for developing and delivering strategic communications plans that are aligned to the Agency's strategic priorities. You will work closely with colleagues in the internal, marketing, digital and press office teams to deliver campaigns and find innovative ways of reaching target audiences. You will be ambitious about what communications can achieve and believe in its power to challenge perceptions, change behaviour and build strong relationships. You will come with experience in planning and managing strategic communications plans which are underpinned by robust insight and evaluation.
Key Role responsibilities
• Work with Customer Insight Team to develop a strong understanding of customer/audience insights and how these can drive behaviour change.
• Work with colleagues from across the Agency responsible for all aspects of each programme's subject area to obtain an accurate and deep understanding of the issues.
• Work closely with DVLA Communications Team to design high level communication plans for programmes of work.
• Advise and assure internal stakeholders on progress of each communications programme.
• Work closely with internal, external and Press Office leads to ensure messages are delivered in a timely and accurate manner.
• Identify opportunities for delivering programme messages across DfT and wider government.
• Support ongoing evaluation of progress against communications objectives to ensure messages are understood.
You will come with a strong understanding of all communications channels and the skills to rapidly get to grips with complex policy or operational issues and turn them into communication strategies and plans. You will have expertise across a broad range of communication disciplines and knowing when to draw on expertise from the marketing, insight, digital and press office teams. You will have strong stakeholder engagement and influencing skills with the ability to influence across all grades across the organisation. You will have the ability to see the bigger picture and be able to draw conclusions from complex data.
Additional Skills & Experiences
• Develop multi-channel plans using low cost as well as paid for channels.
• Commission primary audience and channel insight work - to understand how these can drive behaviour change.
• Develop appropriate channels, messages and activities to improve engagement with relevant audiences and be able to evaluate communication activity
• We will look for you to bring strong leadership capabilities with the ability to coach and support virtual teams.
• Ability to work as part of, and develop effective teams in order to deliver results and key objectives.
Civil Service pension schemes may be available for successful candidates.
Find out more about the benefits of working for us.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass basic security checks .
Candidates will be subject to UK immigration requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules .
If you're applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details
For your CV and personal statement please provide detailed evidence of how you meet the requirements of the role using the job profile and job advert as a guide for your response.
Please note that any part of the Job Profile could be tested at sift/interview.
If invited to interview, this may consist of a range of question types. These could include questions about your strengths or how you would respond in any particular situation as well as specific examples of things you have done.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK, Commonwealth and European Economic Area (EEA) and certain non EEA nationals. Further information on whether you are able to apply is available here .
Candidates in their probationary period are eligible to apply for vacancies within this department.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles .
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.