Hospitality & Catering Manager
Hospitality & Catering Manager at Juniper Hall Field Centre, Dorking (as part of FSC London Region)
Salary Scale - £25,561 - £29,170 per annum
Overall Job purpose:
The Hospitality & Catering Manager is a key position within the learning location’s management team. Working closely with the Centre Manager/Head of London Region, the post holder will be responsible for the continued development of the hospitality & catering service into a leading edge provision. An inspiring leader you will help to develop and innovate in the provision we offer. You will be responsible for budgeting, expenditure control and line management of approximately 12 people.
This is essentially an active role and will require the job holder to be able to carry out duties associated with kitchen and housekeeping work including manual handling, e.g. carrying saucepans, trays of food/crockery and laundry, assisting with food deliveries, making beds and operating vacuum cleaners.
- Contributing to the leadership of the learning location as a member of the Senior Management Team Working with other members of the Senior Management Team to oversee the day-to-day operation of the learning location in the absence of the Head of Lomdon Region and Centre Manager Leading the catering and hospitality teams, providing clear direction, motivation, support and feedback Recruiting and developing staff, including Personal Development Reviews for approximately 12 staff The learning location caters for over 120 covers per meal. Whilst is envisaged that this post will be primarily managerial, on occasions it will involve time spent working directly in the kitchen preparing breakfast (usually at 8 am) and dinner (usually at 6 pm) Planning, including developing and implementing action plans with each team, devising rotas and task lists and ensuring these are implemented effectively Planning budgets, managing stock and expenditure to devise and implement cost saving strategies to improve efficiency: saving on consumables costs whilst maintaining and improving quality of service saving on staffing costs whilst maintaining and improving quality of service Ensuring we effectively provide a choice of dishes at each meal, including a high quality vegetarian option, whilst catering for a range of special dietary requirements Continuing to develop and implement the environmental performance policy (gaining external accreditation for these where possible) in relation to: Environmental cleaning products Reducing energy use and waste Reducing our use of processed foods Purchasing local and seasonal produce Monitoring standards of service delivery, interacting with customers to ensure their experience of the learning location is positive and responding to customer evaluations to achieve agreed evaluation score targets Devising and implementing maintenance plans with the Maintenance Officer, ensuring all areas of the learning location are fit for purpose, and constantly striving to improve the internal decor of our buildings Managing health, safety & hygiene of premises, equipment, food preparation and cleaning products Managing customer care throughout the learning location and setting a high standard of customer service Planning the allocation of rooms to meet customer needs weekly and compiling the meal summary for customer numbers and dietary requirements weekly Leading FSC Health & Safety systems for hospitality and catering aspects of the learning location Ensuring that the hospitality and catering teams comply with all relevant legislation / FSC Operating Codes of Practice Contributing to the wider learning location team, for example, facilitating cross-departmental communication
- Complying with all relevant legislation / FSC Operating Codes of Practice (OCoPs) / FSC Health and Safety Handbook and FSC procedures Taking an active role in the learning location’s evening and residential duty system - this will involve staying on site on some evenings and occasionally overnight to deal with customer issues and respond to emergencies. As a key member of the senior on-call team you will also provide support to other duty staff Delivering a high standard of customer service and customer care Ensuring the highest standards of quality are achieved in all duties carried out Working closely with other staff to ensure that appropriate levels of service are maintained during absences and periods of high workload Maintaining professional standards at all times in accordance with FSC policies Fulfilling your obligations under FSC’s Behaviour Partnership to ensure a happy, productive working environment Attending staff meetings as well as FSC internal and external training as required, in order to share best practice and improve team and learning location performance, and participating fully in staff development activities (sometimes this may involve travel to other learning locations with the occasional overnight stay) Driving: We have a number of vehicles which you may be asked to drive. To do so, you will need to be 21 years or over, have a full valid driving licence, to have been driving for at least two years, and undertake an internal assessment on commencement in the role Undertaking any other duties that may reasonably be required to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the learning location
The expectations of every employee that we regard as essential include:
- A positive and passionate work attitude
- A desire to show pride in all aspects of their work
- A flexible approach with a willingness to adapt to changes
- An ability to work using your own initiative both independently and as a competent, effective team member
- An ability to work under pressure and prioritise work to meet tight deadlines
- Always treating others with courtesy, dignity and respect
- A commitment and contribution to improving FSC’s environmental performance
- A committed and proactive approach to personal development; motivated to learn new skills and overcome new challenges
How to apply:
To apply for this position please download and complete in full the MANAGER application form You must ensure that your application includes examples of how you have demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in meeting the requirements of the post detailed in both the job description and person specification.
For all recruitment information and relevant application, forms please go to our vacancies web page by clicking apply.
Human Resources, FSC Head Office, Preston Montford, Montford Bridge, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY4 1HW
The closing date for receipt of your completed application is 12 noon on Thursday 26th October 2017
Interviews are scheduled to take place at Juniper Hall Field Centre on Thursday 2nd November 2017